Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am at a loss here. I have a "newer" 73 up alternator with the built in regulator. I am putting this on a backhoe, so minimum wiring is needed. I have 3 terminals, #1 brown and #2 red for regulator and #3 hot lug on the rear. I wired it up with #2 red from the regulator tied to the #3 lug on the rear and then to the starter battery cable lug, so #2 and #3 are wired to the battery and the brown wire off the regulator is not wired up. I have no output from the alternator and the battery is discharging. I took the alternator back to NAPA, tested out ok. The alternator is bolted to the block, and I put a jumper on the case to the - battery to make sure I had a good ground. I swear I wired one up like this before and had no problems. Is the GEN light needed? I can wire one up but was wondering if I am missing something stupid here. The alternator is spinning clockwise when running. Any ideas? I need to dig a hole and this is bugging me

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Only thoughts I have are:
That 1-brown and 2-red are reversed but sure you checked that out.
It's a new alternator. Try stringing a bulb between 1-brown and 3-battery to excite the field. See if that starts it.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John thanks,
I just got in, I went back out after posting and hooked up the light for the heck of it since the machine had an idiot light doing nothing. Success! Actually works, but I swear I did this before without the light being hooked up and it worked fine. Maybe different internal wiring? Dunno, but time to slap one on the old 9N next
Oh and just to be cool I used a chrome alternator bracket too!

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

[This message has been edited by drptop70ss (edited 03-19-2002).]

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
As John alluded to, if it's new, or has been sitting around a long time, it won't have enough residual magnetism to start charging. The alternator produces a slight bit of output from the light current and that is what it uses to engage the regulator. As a side note, cars typically have a resistor in parallel with the light so the alternator will work if the light burns out.

Peter

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I really just wanted to tell Dave to flash the alternator. I just wasn't sure if he had a black rain coat.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already tried the flashing, but I didnt know the color of the raincoat mattered
What value and power resistor should I use?

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The raincoat color isn't that important. It's just difficult to get some alternators excited.

The factory Chevelle harnesses use a resistor wire from the ignition switch to the bulkhead connector. The resistance value is about 10 Ohms.

I'm not sure when the parallel resistor wire was deleted but by 83 all that was used was a bulb.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Problem with a real resistor, something like a 10 watt to keep it cool, is there's no good place to mount it to. You don't want one end breaking loose and flapping around. Elree's idea sounds good. Get maybe 4 feet of 24 AWG resistor wire (think I have the right size) and trim it down to around 10 ohms +/- 1 ohm. Coil it up and tie it down. Vibration and hot resistors won't be a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts