Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through Year One catalogue, they list 3 different steering wheel adapters for sport steering wheels, 1 for 64-66, 1 for 67-68 snd 1 for 69-70.

Has anyone used one of these adapters to install a 69-70 3 spoke cushion grip wheel in a 64? If so which one, would like to avoid the 65-66 model if possible because it lists for $89 versus $49 for the others.

Couldn't pass up the steering wheel for $10 Cdn.

Thanks for the help
keep on cruzin'
JimC

------------------

·
Registered
64 Posts
The main reason the adapters are different for the different years is because of the different diameters of the steering column. The wrong adapter might fit, but in the best case the adpater's trim ring won't line up with the steering column and it will just look bad. Worst case the adapter won't fit at all.

How's the saying go? "buy quality and only cry once". You saved a ton on the wheel. Spring for the proper adapter or you will never be happy with the look.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The question is, --- What is the proper adapter to use with a 64 column and a 69 wheel???

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
Why not call the guys at ground up they may know also ther is a difference on the top of the hub some have a cutout for the spoke that goes under I tried putting a 4 spoke olds wheel on a 69 3 spoke hub it was nt right Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike, that is the type of info that I am tring to find the answer too.

Don't think there was much of a change to the diameter of the columns over the early years.

Have sent a couple of E-Mails to Ground-Up with the same question, ie what parts do I have to order to put this together. Have not received a answer from them yet and it has been a couple of months since the last inquiry.

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
I think you need the 69-70 70 if you are worried about the column diameter measure yours I have a 70 in the basement to compare to I cant figure the difference between 6768 + 69 70 I think the earlier one mentioned only had two spokes ?? Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry Jim, I misunderstood the question.

The proper adapter is the 64 - 66 adapter. The adapter has to fit the column. The 69 wheel will bolt to any cushion grip adapters, no matter what year the adapter is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.