Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have 3 things that's bothering me about the 4l60e. 1. Is driving a solid ball in the 2-4 servo release check valve a good idea? 2. by- passing the 3-4 accumulator piston, either knock a solid ball in the feed hole, or double up on the piston so it does not move, and #3 can you make the 1-2 accumulator to make the 1-2 shift shorter, but not harsher. Thank you for any help with this.
Mark

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Man, don't go too hard on the 4l60e.. I've twisted input shafts and shattered input drums trying to make it work. I had a LOT of clutch grip and a lot of tire grip, found the mechanical fuses quickly..

Why would you want to block the 2/4 release? Where's the fluid going to bleed off when you switch to third? The band needs to be released for 1st and 3rd. I removed the stock checkball and installed a sonnax release valve, worked far as I could tell.

I've seen people stack pistons but I never did. I went the noob way of installing a trans go HD kit. It matched the accumulator changes up with valvebody changes to keep everything in sync.

The third, you can purchase shims for the 2/4 servo that removes the slop between the band and pin. Just have to be careful you don't get it too tight and it's applying when the trans warms up. That's the quick way to do it, or you could order different length apply pins and grind the the length to suit your setup.

This was my build, aluminum 5.3L V8 in a 4 dr 2wd s10 blazer. Was running 275/40/17s, it would just squat and roll. Precision Industries 3k stall converter, custom trans build (wide 2/4 band, trans go HD kit, found out red alto clutches were death for a daily driven ride so I went back to regular clutches)

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Do you guys know how to soften the 2-3 shift on these transmissions? (I assume the fix would be the same for a 700R4)...
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Do you guys know how to soften the 2-3 shift on these transmissions? (I assume the fix would be the same for a 700R4)...
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
you go in the software and reduce firmness/pressure on the 2-3 shift. 2 minute deal 👍
Yeah but there's no firmware for a 700R4 as it's not electronically controlled.
and
"Hotwire", I don't understand your previous reply as you re-posted an old post of mine... ??? o_O

Claude.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yeah but there's no firmware for a 700R4 as it's not electronically controlled.
and
"Hotwire", I don't understand your previous reply as you re-posted an old post of mine... ??? o_O

Claude.
Hey Claude, meaning your questions were answered in that post. Your trans builder set your trans on kill, we discussed how to fix the issue by changing the seperator plate out and reduce the feed holes to slow down the shifts. I know you're looking for different answers, but that's it, the plate is like the arteries of the trans, the feed hole size controls the fluid flow.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Hey Claude, meaning your questions were answered in that post. Your trans builder set your trans on kill, we discussed how to fix the issue by changing the seperator plate out and reduce the feed holes to slow down the shifts. I know you're looking for different answers, but that's it, the plate is like the arteries of the trans, the feed hole size controls the fluid flow.
It's just that I was wondering if there were other means to soften the 2-3 shift other than having to replace the separator plate... One other thing... When replacing the plate, do I leave it "stock" or do I have to drill a specific hole... and if yes, which hole and to which size do I drill it? I suppose I can look at the size of the hole in the plate I have right now as a starting point...
Thanks,

Claude.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It's just that I was wondering if there were other means to soften the 2-3 shift other than having to replace the separator plate... One other thing... When replacing the plate, do I leave it "stock" or do I have to drill a specific hole... and if yes, which hole and to which size do I drill it? I suppose I can look at the size of the hole in the plate I have right now as a starting point...
Thanks,

Claude.
Answered in your previous thread as well. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts