1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new radiator this week.

Have a 454 turbo 400 with external trans cooler,

72 elcamino.

Summer temps upper 80s, lower 90s. sometimes to 100.

Winter 15-20 lows, 30s highs.

DO I Really need a 4 core or will a 3 core do the job?????
Thanks

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

·
Registered
246 Posts
Why chance it? There are a lot of things that affect engine cooling so it's impossible for anyone to tell you what is required for your application. There isn't that much of a cost difference between a 3-row and a 4-row so why not just opt for the larger capacity. You should also know that frontal area is much more important than radiator thickness so make sure that you get a big block radiator and that your core support cutout is for this appplication. Obviously if this is an original big block or heavy duty radiator-equipped car it will have the larger cutout.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin
The camino was originally a 350 car.

Are you saying that the core support is different between the 350 car and the 454 car?

If a 3 row will do the job then I don't really want to get a 4 row.

IF the cores are different and I end up using a 4 row, what will need to be changed for it to work?

The car has A/C so would this qualify as HD cooling?? I think it had a 3 row originally.

[This message has been edited by Mr. D (edited 11-23-99).]

·
Registered
174 Posts
i took my rad to the rad shop and they recored it as a 4 core rad so all the bolt holes still lines up and now it should run cooler with the 350 and when i get the 396 built should help some more. go with 4 core.

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have 67w/ 454/th400 . I have a 4 core radiator. using a 180��º thermostat. The car runs on hot days and has yet to see 200º. I don't know if a three core would work just as well since I never used one. I recommend a 4 core just for peace of mind

------------------

.....Joe
"67 Malibu 454/TH400"
~Northeast, Pa.~

·
Registered
283 Posts
4 row and be done with it,you never know when your gonna be caught in heavy traffic. A little over kill in the cooling dept. can't hurt.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the replies.
You are all right.
I'll just get a 4 row and be done with it.

But, will it fit in the core support without mods? What will I need to make it work?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can only speak for myself. I had an original 307 car with no air. When I put in the wider 4 core radiator, I noticed that about 8" of the radiator on the driver's side was blocked by the core support. It had a raised section that I thought would have been cut out on big block cars, so I cut it out myself. I think that this is the section that Kevin was refering to. I hope this helps. I also suggest 4 core, although I will be replacing mine with a wide 2 core Be-Cool aluminum radiator this winter.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Clone 502-580HP
1992 Trans Am Conv(4Sale)
1992 Taurus SHO
Mercer, PA
<sswinger.home.att.net>

·
Registered
548 Posts
To answer Mr D's question take your rad to a rad shop and they will most likely use your tanks and install the new core.Or get a complete new rad, you will need a new top support if you order a rad for a 454 and a fan shroud for the bigger rad...FRED

------------------

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I am running a 350 w/AC 3 core in front of my big block,and I have yet to see it go over 190,,,I just got the car running in September,but, we still had some over 80 degree days....I assume an A/C radiator is a little heavier duty? any comments?

------------------
Bob West
Monett,Mo.
1972 Malibu,461 cid.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Rapid Robert, you lost me when you said "I am running a 350 w/AC 3 core in front of my big block" If its a big block then whats the 350, the transmission? AC is heavier duty and a big block requires more cooling than a small block. If anyone is running a big block and debating to go with the smaller or larger radiator why not go with the larger one? We are talking about our nice classic cars. I don't understand why someone wouldn't spend the extra few for a better radiator. I didn't think the price difference was that much but I have been wrong before and will be again

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
68SS396camaro
Rapid Robert was saying that his car was originally equipted with a 350 with A/C like my car but now has a 454 engine in it.

I have found a 3 row for $139 and a 4 row for $174.
I know weight is not my main concern but I was just figuring I could save a few pounds by using a 3 core if it would do the job.

My 70 SS 454 monte Carlo came with a/c and it had a 3 core in it which worked fine.
I will probably get a 4 row just for piece of mind even though the 3 core would probably do the job.

I have to admit that I am confused about this core support info given by Kevin. I thought all the core supports were the same for the different engines.
Kevin
Please give the explaination another shot. I am a little thick headed.
Thanks again for the replies.
Mr. D

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think Kevin is a little confused the 72 rad is supported top and bottom sit on little rubber pads. I have a 454 rad in mine and the opening is not resricting air flow and mine was a 6 cly car, it maybe true on the older models with side supports...FRED

·
Registered
283 Posts
A little clairification, How much cooling capacity you need is directly proporitional to how much horse power is being produced.
i.e a light weight BB may very well get away with a SB radiator. But if you have or ever plan on having big ponies then you need a cooling system to match.
Same with fuel delivery systems,induction systems etc.etc.all the way to the tires.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fred,
I think you're right.
Bought the 4
row today ($160 gave me a deal) and put
it in place. Looks good and not
restricted at all.

Harley,
sounds like good advice.

Thanks
Mr. D

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Be aware that if 3 core is good, then 4 core is not necessarily better. The reason I say that is due to the airflow running more slowly due to added restriction of the added row. If you run an auxiliary fan on the rad then it doesn't apply, but to a regular production car (especially one without a shroud) it is a case of diminishing returns.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A radiator will never work anywhere near capacity without a fan shroud! Definetly not an optional item!

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.