Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't there a 3 barrel carb available in the late 60's/early 70's? If so, can anyone give me a bit of history on it? Wasn't it supposed to be a high performace model used on NASCAR and such?

kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
http://www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
8 Posts
the holley 3 barrel (a forgotton carb) was produced in 1969 and 1970 i believe. it has a huge flap for the secondarys,instead of individual round holes. it requires a special intake for the above reason (open plenum). it flows 950 cfm and has vacuum secondaries operated by a huge vacuum pod.i got one in a junk yard a million years ago and kept it because it was unique.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,005 Posts
I have one or two of these, they were not known for precision metering or distribution.
Tom

L

·
0 Posts
Back in the day, or at least when I was a kid, that's all I recall the car guys talking about...the Holley 3 barrel. I don't think I've ever seen one, even at a swap meet.

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
There was a 950 and a 1050 cfm Holley 3 barrel. The problem was nothing much on the street needed that much air flow. Probably none of the single four barrel intakes back then would flow that much either. Motion Performance put them on some of their cars as well.

[This message has been edited by Keith Tedford (edited 08-17-99).]

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
had one on the L89 car for awhile,, it made a mess of the motor,, fuel washed all the cylinders,,but sure ran good with it on there,,would be great for drag car I think,,sold it to Cvell68SS dont know if he has put it on yet,, L89SEDAN

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
The Holley 3b was a good idea to get more airflow using a large rear ventri. It did not prove out to work as well as the 4b carbs. There was even a carb that had one big single ventri. I think it was called a Kendig.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What about the Predator??I believe that was a large venturi design

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I think our dearly departed Skip Cain ran one once upon a time along with an L88 cam in his original '67 L78 SS. The Holley 3-barrel was for big-inch screamers! Hey joe58, you're the first person I've ever heard talk about a Kendig. They looked like a box. I'm sure I have a Hot Rod magazine from '72 around here someplace that highlights it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.