Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for some input on wheels and tires for my 65. I would like to find rims that look like the original hub caps. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it. Looking to go with 15s or 16s, as I’m changing most of the suspension in the next few weeks.
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the original wheel covers. I personally hate those rear wheel skirts. I remember my Dad would buy cars with them and I would take them off and hide them in the barn. They are original only once. BTW, welcome to Team Chevelle.

Bill

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
On my 67 Malibu I have 14" x 6" ralley wheels with the outer lip painted black and the rest of the wheel is silver. I can use the original wheel covers or trim rings and center caps. Two looks for the price of one. I think I get more looks with the wheel covers.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
I am one that should practice what I preach because my car came with 14x6 rims and wire wheel covers. A L79 with wire wheels, that's a sleeper for sure. One day when I get some extra cash I will have my wire wheel covers refinished and install a set of whitewalls and take her to a car show. I bet it will turn some heads. As far as the practice what I preach part I am using 15x7 Rally wheels that were not available on my car in that size BUT they are my driver set and will be going forward. However tires and wheels are easy to swap and I ask that you be careful making big changes to a two owner factory original car. They just aren't making them any more!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am one that should practice what I preach because my car came with 14x6 rims and wire wheel covers. A L79 with wire wheels, that's a sleeper for sure. One day when I get some extra cash I will have my wire wheel covers refinished and install a set of whitewalls and take her to a car show. I bet it will turn some heads. As far as the practice what I preach part I am using 15x7 Rally wheels that were not available on my car in that size BUT they are my driver set and will be going forward. However tires and wheels are easy to swap and I ask that you be careful making big changes to a two owner factory original car. They just aren't making them any more!
Any changes I make will only be bolt on ones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put (18 inch rear 9.5') (front 17 inch 8.0') Rallyes on mine powder coated in black. 138 SS Convertible but when I bought it the original engine was long gone so I didn't have the originality issue to get hung up on. Made it mine ever since.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put (18 inch rear 9.5') (front 17 inch 8.0') Rallyes on mine powder coated in black. 138 SS Convertible but when I bought it the original engine was long gone so I didn't have the originality issue to get hung up on. Made it mine ever since.
Great looking ride!
Thanks for the info on wheels. I plan on all bolt ons for what I’m changing and will save the original equipment for the next guy. If I ever sell it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts