Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was hoping swapping a 2GV rochester to a Qjet, with an aluminum intake, would at least make some noticable performance increase.
The project was fun and it looks good (big carb on small engine) but my test drives have yielded the same sluggish acceleration and so-so "top end". I use quotes because of the speed limit.

the application is a '70 with a '64 283 and PG transmission. I have no idea what cam is in the 283.

Maybe i'll get better gas mileage?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
you may want to re-adjust the quad to give a little more hp but over-all you won't get a lot of performance from a little 283 just by changing the carb, try headers and a few chrome pieces at least (like mine ) it will look like it's got some spunk. (i gotta 307 w cam, edelbrok intake and carb,) no power but it looks good especially for a daily driver

------------------
Current picture of car in paint shop members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle2.jpg John Krenn
Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
29 Posts
First - you are losing a lot of power with the powerglide. Second - the 1970 was not available with the 283 for a good reason - it is substantially heavier than the 1964 your engine came out of. The 283 is a good engine - reliable and economical, but the powerglide and heavier body are loading it down. Of course you have made sure your engine is tuned and set up properly - ignition timing, vacuum advance, etc.

Either go to a 350, get a four speed, or learn to live with the acceleration. You'll get reasonably good gas mileage with your 283 anyway.

Hope this helps

Stephen

·
Registered
339 Posts
Try setting the timing up to about 10 degrees. Two barrel engines usually set about 4 deg. Gearing is usually pretty tall in the PG cars. tom

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a 70 307 with a Holley dual plane and and a 600(??) cfm Qjet. With the right timing and a slightly hotter plug (r44->r45) I got a noticable jump in "felt" power. At the top end (belive me I've been there at 150ish) with a PG and granny rear she was still pulling strong.

Swild is right about the 283, unless they are pimped to the limit, they won't do much in a 70.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201 :)
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>
members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/index.html

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
reached timing limit (physical). i set it at 8 Degrees but it 'sounds' like it can go more, but the distributor is hitting the the trans vac line on the back of the intake.
i'll make another post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.