Team Chevelle banner

292 BBC heads good option?

6K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  68Chevele 
#1 ·
Looking at 454 core that has these. Am I better off waiting on a core with 781 or 049’s, or is there not enough of a difference to bother ? Thanks.

#2 ·
I have a set of them. I ported them alittle and put in 2.19 intake valves but left the stock exhausts. They are still in bags in the garage till I get around to doing the short block. Not much help I know...

#3 ·
Whats the goal?
Think they are close enough if you dont plan to get every hp avaible, they are early large ovals similar to #820 and #241 castings.

#4 ·
Just a street motor for a truck project. May even go alum depending on how much it costs to revive a set of irons.

But I can wait for the 781's, especially if there easier to sell down the road.

#5 ·
Just a street motor for a truck project. May even go alum depending on how much it costs to revive a set of irons.

But I can wait for the 781's, especially if there easier to sell down the road.
If the price is right I would go ahead and buy the core with the 292’s. They will work perfect for what you plan.

Think the 292’s was used only 71-72 so to some they might even be worth more.

#6 ·
If the 292's are similar to the 820's, I'll vouch that they can make respectable power. I took a pair of the 820's and did some bowl work, blended short side, installed 2.19/1.88 valves, hardened exhaust seats and made 528 HP 566 TQ on a 9.1 compression, mild cam 496. The motor was done by 5300 RPM, by 5500 RPM the power fell like a brick.

#7 ·
I have a set sitting in my shed. I believe they are the only casting with that odd combustion chamber shape. Maybe the transition between the 2nd version of closed chamber and the open chamber of the 049 and 781’s. I never cc’d them but they look much larger than 049’s. I think they were also used with a small dome piston (mine were). I would not spend any $$ on 292’s because 049’s are still cheap. JMHO.

#8 ·
Any piston considerations with these heads vs the other heads? So long as I could upgrade later to different heads I’d probably be alright for now.

#9 ·
I haven’t found what pistons to use yet. Chambers on mine are about 119cc. So far I have about $850 in mine, already had comp double springs. Had all new ss valves, valve job, guides, good seals and a bit of milling to clean them up.
I mainly used them cause they were 72 heads and going in my 72 wagon, I had them and were good castings. Probably going to throw a 496 shortblock together for them and a mild cam. Do some cruisin!

#10 ·
I'm assuming these heads will use a open-chamber style piston? If so the choices are then pretty much endless. Need something like an 18 cc dome just to get 9.5:1.

Might be better off going to a 489.

Here we go....

#11 ·
Ive heard some that had to modify head or piston using that head casting and trw pistons. But not sure if more modern pistons have same problem? Im building a 454 I went with SRP 212135 23 cc dome pistons. More cui is nice but if you can use your crank, balancer flexplate and even maybe the rods there are some money to save even if you rebalance and rebuild the rods. I almost used a set of thumbrods but went scat pro Comp so I could mount the pistons at home by myself in the end it costed me only little more money.

I decided between them icon IC779 and Wiseco pts 514a.
Went SRP beacause they was lightest and Us made(icon is made in Mexico).
Wisecos pro tru street series pistons seems like a nice product and rings are include so nice deal. CNCmptorsport sells them for 508$ Search results for: 'PTS514A'
But they was heaviest of the pistons I decided between if my memory is correct.

#12 ·
Thanks Marcus. I was initially (and still considering) going with a stock rebuild and now I'm looking at a total performance build up. Even a stock rebuild is expensive no matter how you cut it. Pistons, rods, crank redo and balance - might as well buy a rotating kit.

The heads will be the big decision. Redoing the irons I'm sure will be over 1000.00. Need to decide if its worth another 1000.00 on top of that and go alum.

Reactions: Malibu ss 64
#14 · (Edited)
Reactions: 68Chevele
#17 ·
Actually picked up a Gen VI 454 so I'm gonna run the Vortec heads that came on it. Just a stock rebuild/refresh and a ZZ502 cam, RPM intake and 750DP. Looking to put it in a truck of some sort.

Quite honestly, one of the reasons for going with the Gen VI was so I can use factory roller lifters vs these aftermarket jobs.

#20 · (Edited)
The BBC vortec heads needs double rotator eliminator kits both intake and exhaust needs them and check so they fit as supposed had to grind on the rotator eliminator so they bottomed out. At least on the intake side if I remember correct? With zz502 cam guides need to be cut if they are same as the sets Ive used. You are limited to flattop pistons because of the combustion chambers.
Sounds like a nice combo!

#21 ·
I worked on a Vortec once already, and yes guides need to be cut down. Then the valve seals need to be changed to something that will allow more up/down clearance along with the dual spring clearance. With the 502 cam there is about .050 clearance on the intake IIRC.

And for some reason, the Vortec that I worked on did not need any rotator eliminators. In fact they were too thick (.300) in my case for the required spring installed height.

#27 ·
Just dropped off a set of L29 Vortecs at the machine shop. He poo-pooed them saying they fell flat on his dyno around ~4500. I find that hard to believe but what do I know. I said go a ahead and clean them up for me anyway.

Reactions: Rmchevelle
#28 ·
Funny that's what the guys builder that I got the 360 peanut port heads said also. I just ported them and put good valve springs on'em seems to spin to 6500 if I like but I shift at 5500 to 5800 and the car hit's the line right at 6200 now. Got to love engine builders, tell you crap to sell more parts, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.