Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a set of 781 heads that I was going to have redone with 2.19/1.88 valves, bowl porting and bronze guides. The shop I had contacted for this work would charge about 1000.00 bucks for parts and labor. I lately came across a set of 290 heads with the same work done to them. These are at a local shop that after the work was done were never picked up. I can get these for 500.00 dollars. In the Chevy Power Book I have it mentions using open chamber heads with domed closed chamber pistons. I am running Speed Pro 7053P pistons that have a .221 dome. These ran well with my 781 heads with about 9 or 9.5-1 compression ratio. Any ideas on what the compression ratio would be with the 290 heads. Also and sorry for all the questions, the cam I am currently using is a fairly mild Crane energizer with 272 duration and 5.15 lift. The cam card says the recommened compression ratio for the cam is 8.7-10-1. I may upgrade to a better cam,especially if I can save 500 dollars on the heads. Thanks Jerry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts