Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming that it's done over a while (year or so), and on a budget (not too small, but not huge) - what kind of power could a 283 make?
What kind of numbers in your average '67 Malibu Chevelle? (Anyone want to guess the car I'm going to look at?)

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Guaranteed, you can get 315 real hp, minium. Why? Because in 1961 the Corvette was available with a Fuel Injected 315hp-283 @ 6200rpm. Those Rochester FI units flowed about 500-550cfm, the cam was a solid lifter with about a .384 lift and a rather long duration (for that much lift) around 222deg @ .050, 11:1 comp, and the very first 1.94/1.5 heads. Made an honest 315hp.

Next the 302 Z/28 engines could be bluprinted and super tuned to produce close to 500 hp.

So, theoretically, if you bore a 283 .030 (287) or .060 (292) and use one of todays better technology camshafts (maybe a roller), a good intake with at least a 650 (the Z/28 used a 780) carb, at least a good set of mildly worked 1.94 (if you go wirh a .060 overbore you can get away with 2.02) heads (maybe jump out there and go with aluminum), good headers, and a quality ignition, you should be able to extract 350-400hp. But remember, that WILL NOT be at 4500rpm!
Because of the displacement, torque won't be real big, but you will give them fits with the rpm it will turn! When they are halfway through 2nd gear, you'll still be in first and screaming.

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 10-14-99).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Tom. That's exactly what I wanted to hear - plus, I have a thing for high-winding engines. Yah, yah - not very "musclecarlike," but there's just something about it. (Hey, the LS1 and 4.6L DOHC Ford are both pretty high-winding...)

·
Registered
687 Posts
A friend of mine has a 283 he "built"(aluminum ported heads,roller cam,very seriuos tuned holley)and thet motor would scream.I mean speed shifting with the tach buried(11000 RPM),but it sounded great.He said it would spin up too quick so head put a solid lifter cam in,afraid a rod would end up outside the engine.Can't blame him but it was awsome!

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127
Bassett,VA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.