Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi -

I tried to install a triple mini gauge (SunPro) kit to my 230 L6, which previously had only idiot lights.

Before drilling firewall holes, etc, I decided to test the gauges. I removed the existing temp sensor from front driver's side of the head and put the new temp sensor from the kit into the same location.

I started the engine and as soon as the upper hose became hot, the temp gauge went up past 180, past 240 and pegged out. I shut it down and removed the new sensor.

I figured the new sensor was defective, so I bench tested it in boiling water. It read 212. So, I re-installed the new sensor drove it to Pep Boys, where I had them use an infrared temp sensor on the engine. The infrared showed the brass connector for the temp sensor over 300! Other parts of the engine read around 175.

So, do you think that this type of sensor not compatible with the the L6, where the temp sensor is right above the intake and exhaust manifolds?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would instal the new water sensor at the water neck -where hose goes to. If yours does not have a threaded top you can always buy one with it. Or, if that inline 6 water pump has a place where you can instal it, like a V8, it can go there as well. That is what i plan on doing with my 64 wagon with an inline 6. I have not had the chance to dig into my wagon yet but i am sure i will be able to do the above even if it means, at minimum, replacing the water neck. I would prefer to install it at the water pump somehow, like i have on my '68 307, but if not the water neck is an easy alternative. It is not original but it is effective. I get reading of 180-190 consistently even on the hotest of days. I have eletrical SunPro gagues but i am sure it will work with mechanical type as well.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
That 300 degree reading is highly suspect. I have one of the infrared thermometers and it will read way off on shiny surfaces. I looked in a later assembly manual and it shows the temperature sensor located on the left side of the cylinder head,just above and behind the front part of the intake manifold. As for your gauge reading high on the first test, I suspect that it may have had a poor ground.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would instal the new water sensor at the water neck -where hose goes to. If yours does not have a threaded top you can always buy one with it. Or, if that inline 6 water pump has a place where you can instal it, like a V8, it can go there as well. That is what i plan on doing with my 64 wagon with an inline 6. I have not had the chance to dig into my wagon yet but i am sure i will be able to do the above even if it means, at minimum, replacing the water neck. I would prefer to install it at the water pump somehow, like i have on my '68 307, but if not the water neck is an easy alternative. It is not original but it is effective. I get reading of 180-190 consistently even on the hotest of days. I have eletrical SunPro gagues but i am sure it will work with mechanical type as well.

Great! I think I will try this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fss-84852/overview/make/chevrolet

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts