Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know much about the 229 cid v-6 engine? I believe it was used in some of the later Malibus and possibly other Chevy models. I'm wondering about its reputation for reliability, rarity, and parts availability for rebuild. How much different is it from the 231 cid V6? Thank you!

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
cdean, The 229 and the 231 are completely different engines. One is a chevy and one is the "fabled 3.8" buick engine and none of their parts interchange My brother-in- law has one in his 81 malibu with well over a hundred thousand miles on it. I recently rebuilt a 200 V-6 in my son's 79 malibu, the same engine family, and it had over 129,000 miles on it . I had no trouble getting a overhaul kit for it, it was a Dana-Perfect Circle kit. I had Billk do the heads at his shop. Reliable-yes-rare-no, IMHO get the parts and fix it. A great daily driver.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 200 (3.0) and 229 (3.8) are the ancestors of the 4.3L (262) V6-90, and they are 3/4 scale small block Chevrolets. The 200 and 229 are smog motors from the disco decade, while the 4.3 is the only V6-90 still in production. The only difference is that the later 4.3 are fuel injected, and a majority of them do not have the mechanical fuel pump boss like the 200 and 229.

All of the Chevrolet V6-90s use a metric oil filter (PF52), instead of the full-size PF25 or PF35.

The 3.8 (231) is a Buick motor, and these are common with the late 70s - mid 80s GMs like A/G bodies, and BOP full size.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
My first experience with a 229 was in a new '80 Malibu. We were sure the thing had a small 8 until we counted the plugs. It moved pretty good and didn't shake like the early Buick V6.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.