Team Chevelle banner

20's on a 65 malibu?

48K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  BigRat09 
#1 ·
wanted to know if anyone has put 20's on front and back of a 65 malibu and what kind of back spacing i would need. i was thinking about american racing's torq thrust m 20x8.5. i think the standard offset is 0 which i believe is a 4.5 inch backspacing. i am on stock suspension now but would eventually like to drop 2 inches or bag it.
any input would be greatly appreciated
thank you

#7 ·
I have read in this forum to use an 8" rim with 5" backspacing.
This will center the rim in the wheelwell.

An 8.5" with 4.5" BS won't work - it will interfere with the fender lip.
Depending on tire height and amount of lowering max section width of the will be around 10.5".

Measure before spending any money!!!

Personally I think 20's are too much for a '65. I have seen a few that looked good with 17's - I draw the line at 17's though.
Please post a pic when you get some 20's on.

#10 ·
Here is a link to a 65 chevelle with 20's on back and 18's on front. http://www.madmachines.com/ Look in projects and click on the rendering of the 65 Chevelle. There is also a link to a Popular Hot Rodding article there as well.

#13 ·
Ive seen quite a few 65's with 20's in the rear. I never looked to see what size they were though. I have 20's on the rear of my 66, fit perfect, even with air bags. If I was you, I'd just get under there and start measuring. Or see if any of your friends have some you can borrow. Did you try the wheel and tire database?

#14 · (Edited)
A good friend of mine has a 64 Chevelle with 20 x 8.5 Coys with 5.25 backspacing in the rear and has been lowered 2.5" in the rear, he running 18 x 8 with 4.5" back spacing in the front and has been lowered 2" in the front no tire clearance issues. I'm not a big fan of the overly large wheels but with car lowered it looks pretty sweet. I'm running 18's in the rear and 17's in the front on my 67 I love the look any large would be too big.

#15 ·
As far as some people having issues with large wheels to each his own, different taste is what keeps the hobby alive and well. Everyone has different taste. Someone may not like a certain color on a car, it's no different than wheels, nice thing about wheels they are simply bolted on and easy to change, unlike doing a complete color change on a car.

#19 ·
No, not quite. No different from what Foose and Boyd have done. Your comments in this thread aren't necessary or helpful to the guy who started the thread.
Everybody has a opinion, sometimes they are best left unsaid. :thumbsup:

#22 ·
Dont worry, most people will really like the big wheels, I am 23 and most of the cars i've owned have had 20's or bigger, I always get compliments, once my 70 is at the wheel and tire stage they will get 20's regardless. Some people still like that ******* look with the back end jacked up with big wide tires sticking a foot out the sides!

#26 ·
The Wheels are Budnik M5's. I'm far from stock, the car is backhalved and I'm running a 14" wide wheel back there. The fronts are 18"x 7" with 4.5 back spacing. I've got Air Ride in the front, so I can drop it until the crossmember hits the ground :) But even it I've got to where the fender lip is tangent with the rim I don't have any issues with driving and turning it. I do not have full inner fenders, they are cut just past where they attach at the upper fender.

#28 ·
For the right price! :D

#29 ·
=) the dollar has the lowest quotation ever compared to our currency soo many cars ships to sweden now. a volvo xc70 costs 85000dollar and we manufacture the **** here and volvo as a company dont pay any taxes themselfe to the state because they´re a exception just to keep the work in sweden. sick... wery sick. average salary in seden is 30000 dollar a year. sweden has the higest taxes in the world. one gallon 95 octane costs 9,1 dollars NINE point ONE! for an example. we pay 35%tax if the salary is under 35000dollar a year. do you earn more you pay 58% on the salary over 35000. then we pay 25% tax om everything (of our allready heavy taxed money) exept food thats is 12%. so honest work would´nt pay.

electronics is an luxury here to. 50" plasma costs from 4200dollar, you cant find a playstation 3 under 800dollar etc. many reasons is that were a 9 millon country allso. but biggest reason is that the shops have taxes to pay for local rent, salarys etc.

but some entusiast work hard to experience a dream. (and ride a nissan micra as a daily driver) they even buy 3 cars fron usa and sell 2 and have one allmost for free. especially now whit the low dollar.

im one happy dude tho that worked hard and my and my wifes family is affluent with well working companys. but i fell for the "ordinary folks" that suffers from goverments old mistakes. but i hate it as it is here so i must complain a litte bit =) sorry.

#30 ·
I have a 66 malibu. And I have a similar question. My question is, how do I make sure what tire and wheel sizes I can fit? For example, if I want to put 19" wheels in the front and 20" in the rear, how can I make sure that they will fit (including the offset.). I should also include that I am putting in a new suspension kit at the same time. If anyone has any recommendations. Thanks.

This is what I am going for. (Even though the picture is a 67.)

#31 ·
I personally like the pro-touring kind of look for chevelles. It brings modern performance together with the body lines and muscle of the past.

I decided to go with 18" wheels on my ride because California roads are not the best, and with 20's, you not only run the risk of wrecking the expensive hoops and tires you just bought, but the ride sucks ass. With 18's, i can squeeze a 45 series tire in the fender well which gives me about 3.5" of side wall and still looks sweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.