Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanted to know if anyone has put 20's on front and back of a 65 malibu and what kind of back spacing i would need. i was thinking about american racing's torq thrust m 20x8.5. i think the standard offset is 0 which i believe is a 4.5 inch backspacing. i am on stock suspension now but would eventually like to drop 2 inches or bag it.
any input would be greatly appreciated
thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
not the right place to ask about 20" wheels here, youll jut get the why 20" wheels remark....wagon wheel remark,,,rubber band tire remark.....:noway:

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
........i was thinking about american racing's torq thrust m 20x8.5 .......... but would eventually like to drop 2 inches or bag it.
To each his own, I guess ?????

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have read in this forum to use an 8" rim with 5" backspacing.
This will center the rim in the wheelwell.

An 8.5" with 4.5" BS won't work - it will interfere with the fender lip.
Depending on tire height and amount of lowering max section width of the will be around 10.5".

Measure before spending any money!!!

Personally I think 20's are too much for a '65. I have seen a few that looked good with 17's - I draw the line at 17's though.
Please post a pic when you get some 20's on.

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
wanted to know if anyone has put 20's on front and back of a 65 malibu and what kind of back spacing i would need. i was thinking about american racing's torq thrust m 20x8.5. i think the standard offset is 0 which i believe is a 4.5 inch backspacing. i am on stock suspension now but would eventually like to drop 2 inches or bag it.
any input would be greatly appreciated
thank you
Chris,you're probably going to have problems fitting an 8.5" width front wheel. Just a guess but you're going to need around 5.25-5.50" backspace for a 20x8.5 rear wheel.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
not the right place to ask about 20" wheels here, youll jut get the why 20" wheels remark....wagon wheel remark,,,rubber band tire remark.....:noway:

Actually, he wants to drop it wich will make it look A LOT better!

And to the original post, there are a few chevelles with 20's that I, along with other members, like. However, as a tip, I would consider looking at 18's in the front and 20's in the rear. The front fenders, especially on the pre 68's, are too small for 20s. Here is a 72 with a staggered 18/20:

orwiu

You can get some 20's to fit up front but I doubt you could lower it and be able to steer.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Here is a link to a 65 chevelle with 20's on back and 18's on front. http://www.madmachines.com/ Look in projects and click on the rendering of the 65 Chevelle. There is also a link to a Popular Hot Rodding article there as well.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Ive seen quite a few 65's with 20's in the rear. I never looked to see what size they were though. I have 20's on the rear of my 66, fit perfect, even with air bags. If I was you, I'd just get under there and start measuring. Or see if any of your friends have some you can borrow. Did you try the wheel and tire database?

·
Registered
159 Posts
A good friend of mine has a 64 Chevelle with 20 x 8.5 Coys with 5.25 backspacing in the rear and has been lowered 2.5" in the rear, he running 18 x 8 with 4.5" back spacing in the front and has been lowered 2" in the front no tire clearance issues. I'm not a big fan of the overly large wheels but with car lowered it looks pretty sweet. I'm running 18's in the rear and 17's in the front on my 67 I love the look any large would be too big.

·
Registered
159 Posts
As far as some people having issues with large wheels to each his own, different taste is what keeps the hobby alive and well. Everyone has different taste. Someone may not like a certain color on a car, it's no different than wheels, nice thing about wheels they are simply bolted on and easy to change, unlike doing a complete color change on a car.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
It will still look like a tuner not a muscle car!
I think the fact that it's a 65 Chevelle will ensure it looks like a muscle car.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Around here we call that a pimpmobile.
No, not quite. No different from what Foose and Boyd have done. Your comments in this thread aren't necessary or helpful to the guy who started the thread.
Everybody has a opinion, sometimes they are best left unsaid. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.