Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted back in the summer about how the forum and businesses on here helped me place second in big block NA for rocky mtn race week. I have been holding myself back from posting some of the heads up results as it's no time and there were rule/class changes for 2020.
I added an NX Express hitman plate late in 2019 for the purposes of this heads up stuff. everybody had a power adder and I was competitive NA but never a winner. this year they tried to divide it by 10. and slower street and 9.99 and faster top gun. I am not a trusting person so I showed up at race 1 in the summer thinking I could get that first 9 second pass and maybe hold off the sandbaggers.
Race 1 I had a 150 shot on a 1.5 second progressive. we get one time run and I went from being a 10.0 best to 9.7x on my first and only time run. I was using the Fitech and it learned the AFR target for a few passes. The car learned to the tune of a 9.62 at roughly 141 with a 1.41 second 60'. The semi final car ran a 9.99 or there about as I saw it on his social media (have to stalk the competition). guy in the finals was a nitrous aided LS SN95 stang. I let him talk me into pulling my bottle. I was worried he'd jet change his way right past me. I ran 10.3x. I felt for a street car that drove to the track I should be able to run what I run. If they all trailer and can't do 10.0 anyway they should shut up.
Race 2 was contested with my carb and 100 shot in case there was another car that came into the class trying to sandbag. I never know what to expect. you see a procharger on and LS deal and figure they should have me covered NA. I reduced the progressive to 1 second on the 100 shot. The car went 9.7x. I didn't use n2o if I felt I had people covered. 2017 Stang beat me in the finals as I didn't arm the nitrous. The switch is one of the with the shell over a smaller lever. I killed him on the tree and almost beat him NA on a 10.29 pass. He posted in his social media that he went 9.80s. I had the right idea to beat the kid but poor execution.
Race 3 the car had some hot fuel issues from the back tank on the 40 mile drive in. Luckily my race week preparedness allowed me to swap and run from my n2o tank. that meant legit power adder guys would get me. round 1 bye then drew a known guy that does 10.20s in a 65 Mustang SBF on 200 shot. I needed the .019 pro tree light to squeak by as he was catching me. I drew a 5th gen camaro LS turbo guy that would have been a great match on my 150 tune but he worked me over NA.
Race 4 Halloween - beautiful cool autumn day with DA under 650' all day. I made my first 9 second NA passes ever. the car was super consistent. I was working people on the tree and then running dead on 10.0. One guy would have to forfeit his quarterfinal run as he showed his 9.30 pass to the race organizer. He was going to cut off the 10.0 class at 9.5 because of the weather but it was unofficial. I end up getting paired with the same SN95 stang in the finals. He jetted up and had a back fire about 100' in and took my second win of the season which actually paid $250 to win.
I earned $750 between RMRW and the Halloween race. I made my first 9 second passes with n2o and on the engine when the weather turned. I'm working to add more bars this winter, hope to get NHRA license in 2021, and hope to spray 200 - 250 at the heads up races.
Luckily covid waited until this week to get me so now I'm able to look back on pretty darned good year

·
Registered
1969 El Camino SS396
773 Posts
Congrats! I want to do both Rocky Mountain Race Week and Hot Rod's Drag Week. A few friends of mine have done them. Looks like a blast and it takes a real street car.

Reactions: Supernova72

·
Vendor
9,154 Posts
I posted back in the summer about how the forum and businesses on here helped me place second in big block NA for rocky mtn race week. I have been holding myself back from posting some of the heads up results as it's no time and there were rule/class changes for 2020.
I added an NX Express hitman plate late in 2019 for the purposes of this heads up stuff. everybody had a power adder and I was competitive NA but never a winner. this year they tried to divide it by 10. and slower street and 9.99 and faster top gun. I am not a trusting person so I showed up at race 1 in the summer thinking I could get that first 9 second pass and maybe hold off the sandbaggers.
Race 1 I had a 150 shot on a 1.5 second progressive. we get one time run and I went from being a 10.0 best to 9.7x on my first and only time run. I was using the Fitech and it learned the AFR target for a few passes. The car learned to the tune of a 9.62 at roughly 141 with a 1.41 second 60'. The semi final car ran a 9.99 or there about as I saw it on his social media (have to stalk the competition). guy in the finals was a nitrous aided LS SN95 stang. I let him talk me into pulling my bottle. I was worried he'd jet change his way right past me. I ran 10.3x. I felt for a street car that drove to the track I should be able to run what I run. If they all trailer and can't do 10.0 anyway they should shut up.
Race 2 was contested with my carb and 100 shot in case there was another car that came into the class trying to sandbag. I never know what to expect. you see a procharger on and LS deal and figure they should have me covered NA. I reduced the progressive to 1 second on the 100 shot. The car went 9.7x. I didn't use n2o if I felt I had people covered. 2017 Stang beat me in the finals as I didn't arm the nitrous. The switch is one of the with the shell over a smaller lever. I killed him on the tree and almost beat him NA on a 10.29 pass. He posted in his social media that he went 9.80s. I had the right idea to beat the kid but poor execution.
Race 3 the car had some hot fuel issues from the back tank on the 40 mile drive in. Luckily my race week preparedness allowed me to swap and run from my n2o tank. that meant legit power adder guys would get me. round 1 bye then drew a known guy that does 10.20s in a 65 Mustang SBF on 200 shot. I needed the .019 pro tree light to squeak by as he was catching me. I drew a 5th gen camaro LS turbo guy that would have been a great match on my 150 tune but he worked me over NA.
Race 4 Halloween - beautiful cool autumn day with DA under 650' all day. I made my first 9 second NA passes ever. the car was super consistent. I was working people on the tree and then running dead on 10.0. One guy would have to forfeit his quarterfinal run as he showed his 9.30 pass to the race organizer. He was going to cut off the 10.0 class at 9.5 because of the weather but it was unofficial. I end up getting paired with the same SN95 stang in the finals. He jetted up and had a back fire about 100' in and took my second win of the season which actually paid $250 to win.
I earned $750 between RMRW and the Halloween race. I made my first 9 second passes with n2o and on the engine when the weather turned. I'm working to add more bars this winter, hope to get NHRA license in 2021, and hope to spray 200 - 250 at the heads up races.
Luckily covid waited until this week to get me so now I'm able to look back on pretty darned good year

Bob,
Congrats sir. Thank you for all the support over the years sir!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
What class? Rules? You guys have some neat heads up stuff in your neck of the woods. The only heads up stuff here are 588-632’s on foggers at 2900 lbs and running 4.50’s -4.60’s in the 1/8 th........but my tunnel ram and 2 carbs on a n/a SBC in a 3400 lb glass/steel car doesn’t meet the “intent” of the rules.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What class? Rules? You guys have some neat heads up stuff in your neck of the woods. The only heads up stuff here are 588-632’s on foggers at 2900 lbs and running 4.50’s -4.60’s in the 1/8 th........but my tunnel ram and 2 carbs on a n/a SBC in a 3400 lb glass/steel car doesn’t meet the “intent” of the rules.
It went from licensed and registered with interior, small tire to two classes. Basically a 10.0 bracket (street car) but with no times I knew people would try to take advantage.
The top gun class allows big tire but no tube chassis cars. There are high level turbo guys in the 7s in that group. They prep the track before each round so the fast guys have a good track. Not glued like lights out but pretty good. We were all in the same group with 1-3 8 second guys but now with the split the street class became a little more competitive. Not a lot of classic muscle cars though. Mostly new cars. One guy I bum around with has a 67 chevelle but he didn't make any races this yr. He did crew for one day.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very cool,thanks for the ride along really enjoyed it. Get well soon.Tom..

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats! The green car is like a roaring beast and running fast.
Thanks
3500 lb street car with pump gas 496. I run 93 octane with a bottle of Lucas oil octane booster per tank. With the ngk a8 plugs I didn't really need it but i already had a bottle leftover from race week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts