Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A disabled friend of mine is looking to buy a new minivan. He's getting a Dodge Caravan as that's what the accesability equipment will fit in. He'll have the option of a 3.3 or a 3.8 V6 but the 3.8 is about $5k more (because it comes wiht all sorts of options thathe'd have to take)

Is the 3.8 worth it? Are either of those 2 engines problematic?

Thanks!

·
Banned
14,069 Posts
The 3.3 comes standard in the SE,3.8 standard in the SXT so thats where the price difference comes in. You might want to look into ordering an SE with the 3.8. I really have not had much experiance with the 3.3,but can tell you the 3.8 is a great motor ,my wife gets close to 30 mpg on a trip.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gary,

I'll suggest that though I think he might be stuck with either-or as the van outfitter supplies the vehicle and that may limit his options

·
Banned
14,069 Posts
I'm really surprised the outfitters don't specify the 3.8.,given the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
both 3.3 and 3.8 are great motors with no problems that i know of!! i work at a dealership!!

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
We've got the 3.8. I've driven the 3.3 for extended periods of time with rentals, and you really need to flog it hard to get it to move. The 3.8 is pretty decent. Absolutely no problems with our 05 in 50K miles.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
The 3.8 in my T&C is now close to 140K miles. It runs great!
Only replacements so far have been the EGR at 110K and a new waterpump at 130K.
This van is making a believer out of me!
It's an AWD version, weighs around 4600 lbs and gets around 25 mpg on road trips!
I've got a full size reciever on back and have towed cars on dollies for 1000+ miles.
It's a winner!

Dan

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
09 with the 3.8 here, only got 1900 miles, to soon to make a judgement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts