Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANyone know what it takes to install an engine and trans from a 2007 Chevy Tahoe into a 1970 Chevelle? I want to know what price I am probably gonna pay for the install and also what parts I am gonna have to purchase. Looking to do this in the next week so I need help and suggestions fast!!! Please help. Thanks
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
WHY????:noway: Sounds like a nightmare in the making to me. Keep it simple and it will be simple to maintain and or fix. Not that it can't be done. It just sounds like more trouble than its worth for a little over 300 horsepower. JMHO!!!

BTW Chris is right! The 5.3 is acctually 325 cid with a 3.78 bore X 3.62 stroke vs. 4.00 bore X 3.25 stroke of the 327.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
to try and help answer the question - its the same basics as the ls1 / ls2 swap and if you search the pro-touring forum here or on protouring.com you will find your answers.

To play into the symantecs on the motor designation - true, its not an actual 327 BUT its widely referred to as such on plenty of sites like scoggin dickey, gm parts direct, etc. So true but not true but at the same time - doesnt matter much here.

Nothing wrong with this swap. Its a nice motor, will easily get into the mid 300 hp range with little effort and can pull down decent gas mileage. Not everyone wants the 408 sb, not everyone wants to 6.0 plus engines. Some want the smaller plant do to cost up front, mileage and just getting it going if they have a line and a deal on one.

When and if it gets boring - through a turbo on it or go from there. Not like we're talking about beefing up a 4.8, plenty of 5.3's out there running hard and doing well. Just not as common of a swap because folks want the 6.0 or LS2's due to bigger potential initially or down the line....and being able to say its an LS2, LQ9, 6.0, 408, whatever.

Good luck with the swap. Follow the LS swap format, ask specifics when and where needed and you'll do fine.

As far as cost for paying for this conversion - little to no clue, seems most do it themselves with a little help from buddies and the internet.

Rock on

·
Registered
94 Posts
Make sure you get all the little parts like ECM, TCM, harnesses and the like. I'd love to do the swap you're doing. 5.3+heads and cam+procharger= :D Heck, add a 100 shot for the track and you're golden. I have no idea what it would cost, obviously cheaper if you have the means to do it yourself. Best of luck!

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
i'm sure you could use the stock exhaust manifolds, and motor mount adapter plates are easy to make. i think most people also use a Camaro LS1 oil pan, as well.
so, getting it in is pretty easy.
but when you start upgrading the fuel system and wiring it, then things might get fun. but really, it can't be any worse that putting an LT1 out of a Caprice in something- and a friend of mine just put a 94 Caprice LT1 and 4L60e trans in an 85 Camaro that had a 2.8/5 speed in it, and it only took about a month of evenings and weekends and $700- including buying the motor and trans.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
61 X 5.3 = 323.3 cubic inches. At least that's what my calculator says. 327 does have a much better ring to it though, especially to us older guys. I have a '94LT1 setup to install, if and when I get the time. Too many projects on the go, and not enough time. Aside from the extra work, the 5.3 or a 6.0 would definitely light a fire under the old Chevelles. Decent gas mileage too which is getting more important to most people these days.

G

·
Just like DON'T call an LS- engine a SMALL BLOCK around me!!

Suckers AREN'T SB's!! Our old SB's were finally shot in the head back about what was it, 2004(???) when GM put the very LAST L-48 type 350 engine in a Bread Truck type vehicle!!

pdq67

PS., doesn't he have to notch the cross member so it will fit or is that only w/ an A/C compressor on it??

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
311 Posts
Im probably wrong, but didn't Car craft or Hot Rod just do a hop up on a 5.3L and get something like 400hp out of it with ported heads and a cam change?

I'll have to look about in my back issues when I get home and see if I can find it. IMO more that 400-450 hp in a pure street vehicle is just a good way to get a lot of tickets. If i had the cash I would for sure pick one of these little suckers up and drop it in my 71.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts

Suckers AREN'T SB's!! Our old SB's were finally shot in the head back about what was it, 2004(???) when GM put the very LAST L-48 type 350 engine in a Bread Truck type vehicle!!

pdq67

PS., doesn't he have to notch the cross member so it will fit or is that only w/ an A/C compressor on it??
it's the new small block. same bore center spacing, same lifters, same bellhousing pattern, same size..
get over it. technology moves on. accept it, and learn to love it.
personally, i want one of those 427" small blocks they put in the new Vettes that make over 500hp, weigh about as much as a 4.3 V6, and get 25mpg.

·
Registered
311 Posts
personally, i want one of those 427" small blocks they put in the new Vettes that make over 500hp, weigh about as much as a 4.3 V6, and get 25mpg.
Yea, wheres the 500$ group buy for that motor? sign me the heck up for that.:beers:

·
Registered
28 Posts
5.3L/Automatic setups pulled form late model trucks are out there & reasonable in cost compared to LS/T56 setups or the bigger CID engines. I've seen low mile ones (<30k miles) complete with trans, harness, ecm & accessories for under $2000. A cam & exhaust & a tune and 400hp appears very easy with those engines.

I think edelbrock makes a full chevelle conversion kit - check them & www.ls1tech.com (conversions forum)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
5.3L/Automatic setups pulled form late model trucks are out there & reasonable in cost compared to LS/T56 setups or the bigger CID engines. I've seen low mile ones (<30k miles) complete with trans, harness, ecm & accessories for under $2000. A cam & exhaust & a tune and 400hp appears very easy with those engines.

I think edelbrock makes a full chevelle conversion kit - check them & www.ls1tech.com (conversions forum)
BRP makes plenty of conversion parts as well. AndrewB is using the Edelbrock parts and has a topic in the pro-touring section here as well as ls1tech. The 5.3 can get an easy and efficient 400hp. LS1tech has the most info on the swap.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

pdq67

I agree they aren't a Small Block but a new motor. Yes bore spacing is the same and the bellhousing is the same minus one bolt.

The crossmember may have to be notched depending on the mounts used and if you plan on using the factory LS1 AC Compressor location. You can keep AC and not notch the frame. Plenty of options on mounts and AC brackets.

They are addicting motors once you start playing with them.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Well its smaller than my Big Block so I call it a Small Block:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$1300 Wiring Harness Street and Performance
$675 Headers Street and Performance
$910 Gas tank w/ fuel pump
$350 Computer reprogammed
$115 Motor mount adapters
I am still have a long way to go. People are charging $3500 for installs. In GA. Man do I need help

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I am interested in using the LS series for an upcoming build. This article is the one mentioned before. $800 salvage yard engine. The article calls out other prices. I think all told it was about $5000 to yield 441hp and 410 torque for a street friendly engine that will get good gas mileage. Moving up the LS2 or LS3 will get you high 500 hp with cams, heads, intakes. Carb set ups are also available if you wanna dump the FI. I had also read that a swap to a late model F-body oil pan solves the notching of the cross-member. I have no info to support that though.

E.

Link

·
Registered
34 Posts
Car Craft did do a write up on the 5.3 and I found one on Ebay for $500, then I went back and read the story again only to find that they got 460hp when they changed it over to a carbureted engine. Nothing in the story about keeping the FI.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.