Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,800 Posts
I'm guessing the problem has to do with the vacuum switch. I don't use one on mine and let the 4th gear pressure switch lock up the converter. Mine locks immediately after shifting to 4th gear at about 40 or so mph. Not a problem with my stock cam and Q jet carb but if you want a higher rpm, install an on off switch like 68fbird did. I wouldn't run it too much in 4th without lockup though or (I've heard) the trans can overheat. Maybe some trans pros can elaborate on that. I got that info from someone that was a GM dealer service mgr years ago.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,800 Posts
Thanks guys, I really don’t know much about this system. One question Von, are you saying that if trans is not locked up the trans will run hotter, so I should make sure the trans locks up? I messed with the switch a little last night. The adjustment is suppose to be from 20* to 12* according to the instructions. There are 9 full rotations . I turned in all the way, thinking that will lockup at 20*. When cruising on a level road it seems to lockup and I see the rpm drop around 200 rpm. With the slightest addition of more throttle I can feel the converter unlock and see the rpm go up. I first thought this was an carb or ignition problem. I plan to turn the adjustment back 1 turn and see how that works. Then 1 more turn and so on. If that doesn’t get me to a good feeling, the addition of a on/off switch sounds like a good idea no matter what. A friend wants to test the switch, that will likely happen this winter.
See post #5.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts