Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if these use a washer or not?
Truck is at bodyshop (again!lol) so I cant tell.

It went to a shop recently who for ??? reason changed the oil, leaks big time..lots
And put 450 miles on it during a 4 week period.. All he did was a master cyl and smog it.

Hoping maybe theres an easy fix for this rather than putting a new pan on.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
IIRC, there is an o ring imbedded in the drain plug!

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
My '05 Chevy Express 2500 with a 4.8 (bought used) IIRC has a washer with rubber on it, I think my 09 Ram (bought new) has a copper washer

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
At least put a copper washer on the plug. That should stop the leak.

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,676 Posts
Yes there is a rubber washer on the drain plug, it will go flat over time.

The GM part number is 12616850. You can google the number and come up with a reference #. Can walk into any parts store and pick up a new one or a pack. I keep them on hand in my garage.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect, thanks!! Hopefully that takes careof it

I have to replace the Oring in the oil pump (possibly). Can this pan be dropped wihtout raising the engine?
Thats how you get to it not pulling the timing cover? (02 1500)

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,676 Posts
I'm not sure on the 02, I know on 07+ the front cross member is bolted in/removable.

That is correct, the pan needs to come down. Pickup tube is bolted to windage tray and oil pump housing.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
In a pinch where a new drain plug is not available to you at the time.You can wait till the oil stops dripping and use a little of the good RTV (like the Right Stuff,Permatex Ultra,etc.) Smear a small bead around the drain plugs oil ring then wait a couple minutes for it to set and then making sure there's no oil dripping put the drain plug back in.I have done this and it will work to stop the drain plug from leaking till I had time to get one from the dealers parts dept.
This is only if there isn't any available replacement plugs at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts