Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Guys, Now I am discovering that a built 200 R4 transmission is an excellent automatic. Since I know approx nothing about transmissions, could anybody please give me a very simple primer course, what did they come in, how long have they been "extinct", what is the likelihood of finding one in the boneyard, etc. I'd really like to get one...it's overdrive right? with or without computer...if there's an article, just tell me and I'll read it...many thanks...R.B.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i beleive that the first year was 85, they came in monte carlos and grand nationals and maybe some other g-bodys. stock the best one came from the GN's, but all can be built to any level. they are over drive, they can be used with or without a cpu, if you dont use the cpu you need a b+m lock up controol to take advantage of the tran's lock up. you should be able to easily find one that needs a rebuild for $50-150. check out WWW.G-Body.org for some good info.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
rb I am torn between a 200 or a 700.Had myself talked into a 200 but the guy I am going to get build it has now talked me back into a 700.

BTW rb..Andy's auto wreckers has a 200 for about $200 also has 700's for the same price.this is not a plug for Andy's but I just know they have them as I was there last week.

------------------
Shaun
72 Chevelle (454)
London Ontario
Canada.
ACES#04364
BLT4FN

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear Guys, thanks again, and I'll try Andy's, by the way if Shaun wants to make his phone number availabe to me, I would like to contact him here in London...like to ask you your opinion of our two leading transmission builders a I am torn between them...don't want to put anyone's name out on the internet, but I imagine you know the fellas I mean. Thanks again....R.B.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The big difference in the two trannies is the 1st gear ratio. The 700 has a 3.06 while the 200 has a 2.75. This may not seem like much on paper but the rpm drop from 1st to 2nd on the 700 is considerable especially if you have a smaller motor with low torque.
The 200 has evenly spaced gears and is a direct drop in for a th350 or PG in most applications. On top of that development for the 200 has advanced in recent years due to the GN racing programs and I have read were they can take up to 700 HP.
Also alot of the 200's are dual bolt pattern for chevy and BOP .It is true that the factory ones were not the strongest but upgrades are available.
I took a th400 out of my 70 ,replaced the shaft with one that I had from a PG car switch the tranny lines around and so far so good. I bought my TH200r4 for $200, It was used,but it is still running.
My vote TH200R4.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
rb phone #433 0877
p.s. going to Detroit tomorrow should be home Sunday .

Shaun

------------------
Shaun
72 Chevelle (454)
London Ontario
Canada.
ACES#04364
BLT4FN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.