Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is appealing about these wheels? Rappers and basketball players have succeeded in bringing these things into mainstream america. The trend has gotten so big that GM and Chrysler have jumped on. Chrysler doesn't surprise me as they use Snoop dog in their car commercials targeting a specific demographic.

All the major wheel companies are cashing in on the "latest fad" that really serves no mechanical advantage.

Chip foose uses them on the back of some of his creations trying to stay cutting edge but to me,,, rappers and basketball players and their "Bling Bling" should have zero influence on our precious hotrod car culture. I could understand the lowriders welcoming this fad but call me Mr. "whitebread" as I recognize where this fad started and its just not for me...:cool:

What do you guys think?

Yes or no A or B?

A

B

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
I like A #1, A#2, and the hood ornament on the boat in A#3. Seriously old school hotrod is the way to go for me. 1960 and 1970 cars weren't designed for bicycle tires. Here's my look.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What is appealing about these wheels? Rappers and basketball players have succeeded in bringing these things into mainstream america. The trend has gotten so big that GM and Chrysler have jumped on. Chrysler doesn't surprise me as they use Snoop dog in their car commercials targeting a specific demographic.

All the major wheel companies are cashing in on the "latest fad" that really serves no mechanical advantage.

Chip foose uses them on the back of some of his creations trying to stay cutting edge but to me,,, rappers and basketball players and their "Bling Bling" should have zero influence on our precious hotrod car culture. I could understand the lowriders welcoming this fad but call me Mr. "whitebread" as I recognize where this fad started and its just not for me...:cool:

What do you guys think?
I think you are making too large of a generalization about the 20" (or bigger) wheels and the demographic that is appeals to. Many of the auto manufacturers are including 20" diameter wheels as standard equipment (or options) on their vehicles. If you take the time to look at some examples of this (BMW 7-series, Mercedes S-class, Porsche 911 etc) you will see that these large diameter wheels compliment these vehicles quite nicely and a 15-17" rim with a large sidewall tire would look silly.
The example of the vehicle you use in your post is on the extreme end. I, personally, dont care for the look shown in your photo (B), but to each his own. However, to use that as your "20inch wheels or bigger" example is simply a biased/skewed portrayal of the "fad".
Let me offer up some examples of the 20" wheels on some chevelles that show (IMHO) alot of style and really help to enhance the muscular image of these vehicles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
bill c show nice examples of 20's on a car. the first pix of the caprice on 26's rims look like trash. there is a limit. I love the look of 20's on s nice car like( 94-96 impala) 20's on a 04-06 charger are two small, you will have a four inch gap above tire.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you are making too large of a generalization about the 20" (or bigger) wheels and the demographic that is appeals to. Many of the auto manufacturers are including 20" diameter wheels as standard equipment (or options) on their vehicles. If you take the time to look at some examples of this (BMW 7-series, Mercedes S-class, Porsche 911 etc) you will see that these large diameter wheels compliment these vehicles quite nicely and a 15-17" rim with a large sidewall tire would look silly.
The example of the vehicle you use in your post is on the extreme end. I, personally, dont care for the look shown in your photo (B), but to each his own. However, to use that as your "20inch wheels or bigger" example is simply a biased/skewed portrayal of the "fad".
Let me offer up some examples of the 20" wheels on some chevelles that show (IMHO) alot of style and really help to enhance the muscular image of these vehicles.
The first question I ask when a fad pops up is who started it and why.

Thats right, the big automakers now sell them as standard equipment. I made mention of that. The point is, why? I believe they saw the public buying them and wanted to sell more cars. Why did the public take to them? IMO Because people in general are like sheep and go with the latest fads. Before the rappers appeared with "DUBS" on MTV cribs, the biggest wheels were 18".

Many of todays cars were designed specifically to accomodate the large wheel fad -> Chrysler 300, Dodge magnum, Chevy SS pick-up etc.

I'm all for change if it brings good function but truth be said, rappers weren't looking for performance when they came up with these. The wheels in your pictures are a twist to the original Dub fad that our ganster rap culture cultivated and continues to refine by way of spinners and 20+ sized wheels.

Great looking cars in the pics and to each his own but for me, more rubber with less wheel in back would best fit these musclecars.:cool:

Thanks for your reply!:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
The first question I ask when a fad pops up is who started it and why.

Thats right, the big automakers now sell them as standard equipment. I made mention of that. The point is, why? I believe they saw the public buying them and wanted to sell more cars. Why did the public take to them? IMO Because people in general are like sheep and go with the latest fads. Before the rappers appeared with "DUBS" on MTV cribs, the biggest wheels were 18".

Many of todays cars were designed specifically to accomodate the large wheel fad -> Chrysler 300, Dodge magnum, Chevy SS pick-up etc.

I'm all for change if it brings good function but truth be said, rappers weren't looking for performance when they came up with these. The wheels in your pictures are a twist to the original Dub fad that our ganster rap culture cultivated and continues to refine by way of spinners and 20+ sized wheels.

Great looking cars in the pics and to each his own but for me, more rubber with less wheel in back would best fit these musclecars.:cool:

Thanks for your reply!:)
So your problem is more with rappers/ball players and the african american community in general than with the actual wheels themselves?? The trends in the United States, and most other countries for that matter, are set by the celebrities and those with money and power. Look at all the teenie boppers running around at the mall dressed like whores because of Paris Hilton. Its just the way it goes and in many cases is a powerfull force that leads to great developments.
If you want to argue the technical aspect of the wheels there are some benefits to less sidewall when it comes to lateral traction and stability. Obviously there is a tradeoff with weight and there is a balance that must be struck. Eitherway though, a larger sidewall on a tire can be bad in the twisties so there is some mechanical advantage to a larger wheel and a shorter sidewall'd tire.
Additionally, while I do feel that excessivley large and flashy chrome wheels are over-the-top and are definatly not my thing. I am appreciative for these trendsetters because now I can purchase much more tastefull larger diameter wheels for my vehicles that I feel compliment their sporty or muscular appearance.

My explorer:
20" Chrome wheels

My Cayenne:
22" Techart wheels

Id also point at that the Porsche Cayenne Turbo requires a 20" wheel to clear the brake rotors and calipers.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Its all a matter to taste.

My dodge has 22" centerlines on it with 45 series tires. I hit huge potholes and have never had a problem.

Its not something you can throw a blanket statement at. Comes down to a matter of being tasteful.............and everyone has diffrent taste.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So your problem is more with rappers/ball players and the african american community in general than with the actual wheels themselves?? The trends in the United States, and most other countries for that matter, are set by the celebrities and those with money and power. Look at all the teenie boppers running around at the mall dressed like whores because of Paris Hilton. Its just the way it goes and in many cases is a powerfull force that leads to great developments.
If you want to argue the technical aspect of the wheels there are some benefits to less sidewall when it comes to lateral traction and stability. Obviously there is a tradeoff with weight and there is a balance that must be struck. Eitherway though, a larger sidewall on a tire can be bad in the twisties so there is some mechanical advantage to a larger wheel and a shorter sidewall'd tire.
Additionally, while I do feel that excessivley large and flashy chrome wheels are over-the-top and are definatly not my thing. I am appreciative for these trendsetters because now I can purchase much more tastefull larger diameter wheels for my vehicles that I feel compliment their sporty or muscular appearance.

Id also point at that the Porsche Cayenne Turbo requires a 20" wheel to clear the brake rotors and calipers.
I have no problem with rappers, ball players or the african community. Would I allow snoop doggy dog to pick out my next set of musclecar wheels? Definately no.

"Powerful force pop trends that lead to great developments!" Lol I can't say I agree with that one but no disrespect none the less.

Sure you may gain some handling from less sidewall but lets face it, these chevelles weren't originally built for canyon carving. You can get there, but not before you completely upgrade the suspension. An american musclecar's forte is for the most part, acceleration. The best way to compliment that is through traction gripping fat tires and wrinkling sidewalls.:)

Its admirable that some may appreciate trendsetters. Its seems to spawn popularity. Myself, I'm not into following the herd or making decisions based on status quo. I prefer individiallity and staying true to our "Hot Rod" roots. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
chevelle aren't meant for anything bigger than 18's. 20's and above make you look stupid and "ghetto" 24 and such make your car handle like **** too. 18 inch wheels look good on pro touring cars but for yours, keep it how it is, it is already a great looking car

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
...but lets face it, these chevelles weren't originally built for canyon carving...
These cars have the perfect platform for building a high-performance cornering car that can out-handle new BMWs and other high-end performance sedans, using bolt-on parts that are readily available and affordable.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just my south Arkansas view on this
A. Looks like weak ******* CRAP from 1980. No Taste
A2. Flames on a Chevelle :sad: give me a break.
B. Looks like weak Gangsta CRAP from 2006. No Taste

BUT! the obvious thing is I don't own either car so I could give a dang less what they run.

I hope if a guy wants 15's that's what he gets and if a guy wants 22's that's what he gets. I have a set of 20's for my Malibu I like them, and I needed at least 17's to clear my brake up grades

This should be the last post on the wheel size Bashing
Thanks that is all. Now I feel better

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just my south Arkansas view on this
A. Looks like weak ******* CRAP from 1980. No Taste
A2. Flames on a Chevelle :sad: give me a break.
B. Looks like weak Gangsta CRAP from 2006. No Taste

BUT! the obvious thing is I don't own either car so I could give a dang less what they run.

I hope if a guy wants 15's that's what he gets and if a guy wants 22's that's what he gets. I have a set of 20's for my Malibu I like them, and I needed at least 17's to clear my brake up grades

This should be the last post on the wheel size Bashing
Thanks that is all. Now I feel better
Careful with that "dang" word D, up here in deez parts peeps get labelled as ******** talking like dat. LMAO!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts