Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is frame off 69 malibu convertible
1. Which blade (?) on the firwall connector supplies 12V to interior (I want to hook up my batery to try out interior electrics)

2. I am going to brave starting her this weekend. I bought a remote starter switch this week. Do I hook up 12 V to "R" Post, connect starter switch between "S" and battery, and just let her rip? Wil running the engine for 20 mins discharge m battery (don't wanna futz with hooking up the alternator - unless I get some REAL good hints)

Thanks in Advance!!!

Joe

------------------
Joe Beyer
1969 Malibu Convertible (kinda)
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/convtrailer.jpg
Home Page

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"Which blade (?) on the firwall connector supplies 12V to interior (I want to hook up my batery to try out interior electrics)"

If nobody else shows up, I'll look it up later. Don't have a schematic with me at the moment. A suggestion would be to get one. There is a basic one in the Haynes Chevelle book available at places like Pep Boys. Remember you also need a ground to the car body to work the interior items.

"I am going to brave starting her this weekend. I bought a remote starter switch this week. Do I hook up 12 V to "R" Post", connect starter switch between "S" and battery, and just let her rip?"

Sounds right for a points ignition. I assume you have the wire between the R terminal and + coil. The coil doesn't like a full 12 volts for a long time. You may end up replacing it running it at 12 volts for this length of time.

"Wil running the engine for 20 mins discharge m battery (don't wanna futz with hooking up the alternator - unless I get some REAL good hints)"

Wouldn't be too hard to hook up an internally regulated alternator. Otherwise get a spare battery or two with some jumper cables. Not an engine break-in expect. Lost my cam the last time I did it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John - I have the Assy Manual - Duh, bet its in there!

I have a Mallory COMP 9000. Was just going to hook up red and green to 12V and Black to ground.

Instead of running 12 V to "R" and Coil, you are suggesting wire from "R" to Red and Green coil?

Joe

------------------
Joe Beyer
1969 Malibu Convertible (kinda)
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/convtrailer.jpg
Home Page

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrb56:
Instead of running 12 V to "R" and Coil, you are suggesting wire from "R" to Red and Green coil?

Joe
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No in your first post you indicated that you were going to hook up 12 volts to the solenoid R terminal. Since hooking up 12 volts here has nothing to do with the starter, I assumed that this was to run the coil. Only pointing out that if you hook up 12 volts here, you need the wire back to + coil to run the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts