Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I note I have a sending unit on each head. A one pin connection sending unit on the drivers side and a two prong sending unit on the pass head. The car has lights i/o gauges. Its a 1970 396 with A/C and an Automatic.

I will be installing a manual Temp gauge from Auto Meter so my questions are, which of the sending units should I remove for the new sending unit of the new gauge? Also why are there two sending units, what are the differences between them.

Thks

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

·
Registered
235 Posts
Rich,

The one on the drivers side connects to your temp light/guage. The one on the passenger side is used by the TCS (transmission controlled spark) system which only allows vacuum advance to go to the distributer in higher gears. You would replace the one on the drivers side to drive your guage.

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396

[This message has been edited by DaveK (edited 01-26-2000).]

·
Gold Founding Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave.

Rich

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have the same sort of probelm. I have one temp sending unit thats currently in the Drivers side head. Will this work, If you put the guages temperature sending unit in the intake or the other head, you would have an idiot light and the guage. Just a thought. I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going to do.

------------------
Bryan Shook
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Gold Founding Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bryan,

On my big block there is no addl place on the intake manifold for a sending unit. As Dave advised the pass side unit is for the TCR so that one will stay. The drivers side for the light will be the one I will replace. If I did have an addl place for the idiot light I would hook them both up. I believe on a small block you would have this option as I recall an extra plug outlet in the intake.

Rich

·
Registered
777 Posts
richr,
Yes, on the sbc there is a plug right next to the waterneck. This allows the installation of a gauge while keeping the idiot light. I like keeping the idiot light as well as the gauge.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes...
The '70

·
Gold Founding Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Riffers,

There is an extra plug in very front of a big block maniflod right above the block but it is in a very difficult location. Have never seen anyone use it yet.

Are you going to the Atlantic City Swap Meet in Feb? My wife and are going for one night thought maybe if you where going we can meet up and say hello.

Rich

·
Registered
777 Posts
richr,

Wouldn't miss it! It's a date!

Fred

·
Registered
777 Posts
Bob,
Swap meet is the weekend of February 25th. It is held in the Atlantic City Convention Center at the base of the Atlantic City Expressway.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes...
The '70

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.