Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I recently had my harmonic balancer replaced on my 350 with a new GM part. It is the press on type, no bolt in the center. Since then there has been a slight wobble from it. Only noticable with the fan (and of course water pump) I took it back to the tech and he replaced it. The one he put on (also new GM) was worse and he called GM. They said that a slight wobble was acceptable and would cause no problem. What do you think the chances are that this is going to damage my water pump? It is noticable in the fan but not the alternator or A/c compressor.

2. While cleaning my garage I found 5 14oz cans of R12. These worth anything? Anybody still using this stuff? Been thinking about changing my system to the new stuff.

------------------
Bob

My Humble 69 Malibu

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
Bob,
1. The slight wobble will not hurt anything. Very few stock dampers are completely straight. It is just the outer ring that is not straight, not the center part where the pulley mounts so it should not hurt anything. Sad commentary on some of the parts available now days
I think the last few GM dampers I bought were made in India, I cannot beleive it is cheaper to make them there and have them shipped over.
By the way, Pioneer has come out with a line of replacement dampers that I might dare say are better looking than the GM ones for a bit less money. We have used several of them and I have been impressed by the quality.
2. The R-12 is getting like gold, I think they are getting in the $30 per pound range for it in my area.
------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 04-28-2001).]

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Bob,
If your lower pulley is wobbling, then it is because of the damper. The pulley does not attach to the outer ring.
But there is another possibility. Crank snouts have been known to wear, because of a loose damper. Without a bolt holding it on, this can be a dangerous situation. The damper has a press fit and the key in the crank snout is only for locating the damper in the right position in relation to your timing mark. The key does NOT keep the damper from spinning on the crank. It is the press fit of the damper that keeps it on. In other words, the hole in the damper (I.D.)is slightly smaller than the outside diameter (O.D.)of the crank snout. This creates a press fit.
Sometimes, the damper becomes loose and wears on the crank snout, which in turn can make the crank junk. Make sure the damper that you had put on had good press fit. It should NOT just slip on easily. If your crank is not drilled for the bolt, then I wonder how the guy put the damper on ???? Did he pound on it ?? This could have dislodged the outer ring and is causing the wobbling. Even on a new damper !!
Here is my suggestion #1. Call the Damper Dudes in Anderson, California. They are the only damper rebuilders in the country. 1-530-365-2144. They sell new and rebuilt. They will sell to you directly. Buy their rebuilt or new damper.
Suggestion #2. Drill your crank snout to accept the bolt.
Now you can sleep well !!
Nate

------------------
Current collection:
1. 1969 Chevelle S/W SS396 TH400 12 bolt 3:31 Posi PS PDB AC Dual action PW gate Blue/Blk int
2. 1969 Chevelle Malibu 2 dr hdtp All #'s match L48 350/300 TH350 12 bolt 2:56 PS PDB AC Tilt Parchment/butternut (193,000 mi. never apart !) 98% orig car
3. 1969 Chevelle Malibu Convert Light green/Blk int 350 TH350 10 bolt PS PDB AC Buckets/console Pwr top 87,000 orig mi.
4. 1969 El Camino SS396 Cortez/Blk buckets PS PDB PW No-AC TH400 12 bolt 3:31
5. 1969 Nova SS 350/300 M20 3:31 Posi Red/Red Buckets No console PS PDB No-AC 88,000 orig mi.
6. 1970 Camaro RS Z/22 #'s match 350/TH350 PS PDB AC Shadow gray/blk int Orig AM/FM
7. 1971 2 dr Lemans Sport 350/TH350 10 bolt 3:31 PS PDB AC PW buckets (sold my 69 GTO, went into Poncho withdrawals and had to buy this one !).

·
Gold Founding Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Out of town.

Jimmy: I might be interested in getting rid of the R12 but I have no idea what is worth. Or what I would do with the other 2 cans. I think a 5 cans ought to be more than a dollar and less than that beautiful 69 of yours. Don't know yet, trying to find out what it's worth.

------------------
Bob

My Humble 69 Malibu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.