Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) I am putting an amp in my car. Can i run the amp power wire off of the junction block? Or does it HAVE to be on the + terminal of the battery?

2) What size are the speaker holes on the '65 accessory tray in the back? i bought a pair of crappy 6x9's, but they don't fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
i'd go straight to the battery. i don't think the stock wiring is up to powering an amp. i've tried going straight to the stud on the alternator before, and the result was a humming noise thru the speakers that varied with engine speed.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up rigging it up to the battery. Cable wasn't long enough... but I made it work.

Now about those speakers...

Maybe I could mount them below the tray. like from the underside. That way i could hide the fact that there are even speakers there. And cut a hole in the cardboard to allow sound to travel, but keep the fabric part as to conceil them. Hrm... I wonder.

Or maybe they have to be mounted from the top.

One thing is for sure, if they mount from the top then 6x(s definately don't fit.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so i put them underneath. they fit, but not that well. there are some major gaps in there. Sounds like crap and there is a ton of rattling. but hey, now I have tunes in the car.

My method was somewhat unique since i couldn't find anything like it online.

iPod > RCA cables > Amp > 2 6x9s.

I never plan on running a head unit, so i have to figure out a way to send more juice to the amp from the ipod and to seperate the signal so that I can have the 6x9s in the back, some speakers in the front and a sub. but I can wait on that stuff.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If there is a gap between the speaker case and the package tray sheet metal there may be a lot of rattling. If you are going to leave it that way, I would unbolt them and put silicone sealer on top of the speaker case and then bolt them back in. After it dries it should keep the sheet metal fron rattling against the speaker case
Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts