Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm ready to get my new garage built, and wanted to verify the thickness of the concrete. I've heard a min of 6". What do the Lift Mfg have to say on this??

And while we are it, any suggestions on a USA made lift??

Thanks in advance,

rb6667

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Mine said between 4 and 6 inches of 3000 lb concrete. I went with 5" of 4000 lb and added the fiberglass. I guess time will tell as I haven't even set it up yet. Hopefully in a week or so. :yes: I went with a complete hydralics 10, 000 lb unit. http://www.completehydraulic.com/sl10000oh.html It is assembled in the US and meets all the safety specs out there. Best unit for the money I had to spend. I have an Autolifters 4 post, and paid extra to buy the American made unit with the lifetime warranty. Well that lasted about 6 months beore they closed and voided that. The lift is still great and has given me no trouble, but bit once etc etc. :sad:

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
If you can lay out exactly where your lift will sit, Dig some serious footings in. Go 12" deep, and a couple feet square, so you don't miss. You're only talking 50-75 buck's extra concrete.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
rb667.

the very best american made two post lift is made by mohawk resources in amsterdam ny. no other lift comes close. they are not cheap but like always you get what you pay for. i just had a 15,000 lb lift delivered and installed for around 8500 dollars. thats twice what you can buy a rotary or bend pac for.
a mohawk makes all others look look like sheetmetal, [they really are]
as for concrete depth 4'' for 10000 lb and less and 6'' for anything larger.

do a web search on lifts by brand name and you can compare equipment and determine what each manufacture recommends and what you need for your own use. also look at the shipping weight, that will usually tell you what you are getting

as for the mohawk when you find a dealer in your area, ask him if he has any used lifts for sale. you'll be suprised how much you can save on a used one , and i think you can't wear one out .

one last thought be very careful with a two post lift. be sure what you are lifting is positioned correctly as gravity is very unforgiving.

hope this helps.

Ed S.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I like the Forward Lifts. My brother worked at a chevy dealership and they had both Forward and Rotary lifts. Most of the dealers in my area use these two manufacturers. He liked the Forward better. The Rotary had issues with the photo-optic lens at the top of the lift. When you try to put the car down, one side of the lift would go down faster than the other. Then the saftey locks would lock, preventing you from lowering the car. He did not have any problems with the Forward lifts though.
The Rotary lifts had alot of extra "gadgets", which I don't care for. I like the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle, less things to break. The Rotary lifts have electronic up/down buttons and other electronics, which I feel are less reliable that the old fashioned mechanical controls.
Enough with my opinions. You want two things that are the most important, saftey and reliability. You don't want your precious car falling off the lift and especially ON YOU! Check out http://www.autolift.org/ they have a good website about lifts. Check their list of saftey certified lift manufacturers, then go from there.
I also don't feel confortable about used lifts. They could have been operated outside, abused or who know what. Your life and car are worth the extra money, spend it wisely.
http://www.forwardmfg.com/
http://www.rotarylift.com/
Good luck.
PS, I bought a Forward two post 10,000lb lift (DP10AN) including delivery, installation, and sales tax for $3760.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Make sure you let you concrete cure before you use the lift for the first time (at least 30+ days). Also what is your rebar spec'd at? additional rebar in that area would be wise too, i would go 12" deep for at least 24x24 at each post location with rebar (10M @12"o.c. top and bottom in that pad). make sure you base in on undisturbed soil and well compacted... and just a heads up, verify your concrete thickness before they pour, some concrete guys will crown the base to use less concrete than they quoted you! so it might look 6" at the edge and crown to 3-4" in the middle! not good. also tell the guy pouring you want to see the order slip from the concrete truck (if you are spec'ing better concrete like 32MPA vs. 25MPA) they've tried to pull that fast one on me too! and dont even get me started on why you need a slump test!!

ak

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I was watching "Trick my Truck" the other night and they had a portable lift system. Just roll it into place and hook it up..... They lifted a diesel so I suppose they would work for cars as well. When you done, roll them away and out of the way. I thought they were interesting. I know they only used them because it was a plug for the company, but still thought it was interesting.

Anyhow know anything about that type of lift?

Big D

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
rb667.

the very best american made two post lift is made by mohawk resources in amsterdam ny. no other lift comes close. they are not cheap but like always you get what you pay for. i just had a 15,000 lb lift delivered and installed for around 8500 dollars. thats twice what you can buy a rotary or bend pac for.

Ed S.
Ed - actually thats almost 4 times what I paid for my bend pac, granted its only 10k - but for home use, it's perfect. And the only sheetmetal parts are 'covers' and even they're 1/8" thick.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well Hello Guys, Saw this post, and then realized it was one I made 10 months ago.

Update: Garage is built, and will be finished painting tomorrow. It's been in primer for months. (Too hot to paint here until now)

Looks like Santa Clause will bring a lift this December. Still have not decided on what MFG. yet......but I'm still leaning towards a US made 2 post.

Any new thoughts?

Thanks in advance rb6667

1 - 18 of 18 Posts