Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace 2 lifters which have started to "cup" in the middle. The affected lobes appear to be undamaged. I will coat the 2 brand new lifters with moly lube as well as the affected lobes. Do I need to "run-in" as if it were a new camshaft?

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
I have a hard time believing that 2 lifters are 'cupped' and the cam is undamaged.
Since we're talking about a flat tappet cam,for the $150 its gonna cost in cam & gaskets,I would change the cam also to be on the safe side.....150 now OR 1 or 2K later.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a hard time believing that 2 lifters are 'cupped' and the cam is undamaged.
Since we're talking about a flat tappet cam,for the $150 its gonna cost in cam & gaskets,I would change the cam also to be on the safe side.....150 now OR 1 or 2K later.

The cam was gas nitrided at extra cost from Comp Cams.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The cam was gas nitrided at extra cost from Comp Cams.
LOL SO WAHT! you have 2 busted lifters you have to take the cam out and have it looked at. i bet 2 lobs on it are bad now.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,972 Posts
My nitrided cam went less than one hour, lifters still had some crown...and the lobes were junk.

You cup lifters, you throw away the camshaft. Pretty much that simple.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
LOL SO WAHT! you have 2 busted lifters you have to take the cam out and have it looked at. i bet 2 lobs on it are bad now.
My nitrided cam went less than one hour, lifters still had some crown...and the lobes were junk.

You cup lifters, you throw away the camshaft. Pretty much that simple.
OR bite the bullet & go Roller NOW.:D

·
Registered
414 Posts
that 2 lifter fix would be ok if it was a clunker on a car lot that was headed for the auction.....

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Joe,
Just want to repeat what the others have said. If the lifter is cupped, then you can pretty much bet your life on the fact that the cam is toast too :( You could probably check it by setting up a dial indicator and comparing the lobe lift to one of the undamaged ones. I bet you will find that it is worn.

You also need to find out exactly why it damaged the lifters. Were they free to rotate in the lifter bores ? If you have double springs, did you take out the inner springs during breakin ? What type of oil did you use ? Etc etc.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe,
Just want to repeat what the others have said. If the lifter is cupped, then you can pretty much bet your life on the fact that the cam is toast too :( You could probably check it by setting up a dial indicator and comparing the lobe lift to one of the undamaged ones. I bet you will find that it is worn.

You also need to find out exactly why it damaged the lifters. Were they free to rotate in the lifter bores ? If you have double springs, did you take out the inner springs during breakin ? What type of oil did you use ? Etc etc.
Yes, no, N/A, Brad Penn 30W break in oil. I went one step further and ran it in with 1.3:1 rockers. The cam was gas nitrided. I used molybdenum disulfide paste burnished onto all of the lifter feet and lobes, with a generous layer on all lobes and feet. Lifters are Scorpion (SRP) which are labeled "Johnson Lifter".

I measured lift on all lobes and they are all within a couple thousandths, including the few with cupped lifters.

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Joe,

Just curious why you did not use the Comp Cams lube, I have never had a problem with it ? Was the Moly lube you used designed for camshaft break in ? It could very well have been too slippery and not allowed the lifter to rotate ? Also, I would have used Comp's lifters. I dont like mixing valve train parts from different manufacturers. Also, I am always skeptical of "no name" parts, and that includes Scorpion. The lifters might have been manufactured by Johnson but were they made to the same specifications as Comp Cams or Crane etc ?

Sounds like you did everything "right" but something still had to be wrong to cause the lifters to fail.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joe,

Just curious why you did not use the Comp Cams lube, I have never had a problem with it ? Was the Moly lube you used designed for camshaft break in ? It could very well have been too slippery and not allowed the lifter to rotate ? Also, I would have used Comp's lifters. I dont like mixing valve train parts from different manufacturers. Also, I am always skeptical of "no name" parts, and that includes Scorpion. The lifters might have been manufactured by Johnson but were they made to the same specifications as Comp Cams or Crane etc ?

Sounds like you did everything "right" but something still had to be wrong to cause the lifters to fail.
I used the red stuff on the first flat tappet camshaft, which failed. This one is the free warranty replacement for the first failure, which happened last summer.

I can't think of anything that I missed. An "act of God". Payback for something I may have done in a past life?

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
I used the red stuff on the first flat tappet camshaft, which failed. This one is the free warranty replacement for the first failure, which happened last summer.

I can't think of anything that I missed. An "act of God". Payback for something I may have done in a past life?
cut open the oil filter and what it looks like.:yes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts