Team Chevelle banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was cleaning inside the spare tire well getting ready to weld in the spare tire well that had rusted out. I was daydreaming I guess with the mundane chore of sanding paint and scraping off some undercoating. The I wondered why the well had rusted out when all the rest of the quarter panel and wheel well was solid? I looked up and noticed that there are 2 drain openings with no tubing attached to drain the slider channel water. Question is where does the water drain to? The original well had a dimple and plug but no drain outlets. can someone school me on this as to what I need to drain the rainwater? Thanks in advance. Rod

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are 2 drain holes on each side. Molded rubber tubes originally pushed into these holes and drained into the lower rocker panels leading to drain holes in the bottom of the quarter panel. Thats the short answer.

·
Super Moderator
15,960 Posts
As mentioned above, there are two drains on either side. The factory rubber tubes were pretty much junk from the word go and had such a narrow opening they most often became clogged pretty quick thus causing drain water to run out of the channels and eventually onto the floor. This is a contributing factor why so many of the 2-door wagons have rusted out floors, even on warm climate cars.

The front drains just drain to the inside of the quarter panel. Holes in the base of the quarter open into the rockers which have drain holes at the rear inside end of the rockers. The rear drains are supposed to drain through the tube to a hole in the floor pan back below the tail lights. Again, the tubes typically failed thus putting water in the rear quarters and spare tire well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all who responded, Rich I looked at your wagon pages. I see what you mean now. Those rubber tubes were not in the car when I got. I see those holes below the taillights, about an inch in diameter. I thought that was for the wiring harness. So maybe what I will do is plumb clear plastic tubing from the front drain to a tee-y and then connect the rear drain and drain through the holes below the taillights as mentioned.

I will be posting some pictures some trim clips, I need some help identifying where they go. The AIM does not cover the wagon in good detail. Thanks to all.

Rod:smile2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts