Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 72 Malibu in the junk yard that I bought alot of parts off of including the bucket seats (original to this car). I found the build sheet under the passenger seat. Today I went back to the junk yard to get the rear armrests and when I removed the back seat, there was another build sheet. I checked them and they are the same.

Is that common to have 2 in the same car?

I can't even find one in any of my cars and here I find 2 in a parts car...Go figure?

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
948 Posts
Bob,
The previous owner might have made a copy & placed it in the car in case the rats got to the original. That's what I did with my 72. Also, do you have a pic of that 63 Imp? BTW nice page...I got 9 out of 10 on the Z-11 quiz...#7 wasn't fair! Was the 409 the Impala's engine originally?

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
surferwagons.8m.com

[This message has been edited by SoCalRat (edited 10-11-99).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
One was from the people that build the seats and one from the person that installed the seat. The ones on the gas tanks are from the guy that installed the tank etc. etc.
The packet that followed the car down the assembly line had several copies for different stations.This process is not uncommon in many other fields of manufacturing. The build sheet is like a blueprint for a car or a schematic for a radio. There are many copies floating around.
Planning gets a copy the machinist/assembler gets one and so does the inspector. I think build sheets where a type of grifitti, sort of a signiture from the installer. My Camaro had three, gas tank,under the carpet and one in the back seat.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette,71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My 69 SS396 had/has two build sheets, and they ain't no copy. Still got the car and the sheets.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I haven't found any build sheets in either of my two 69's, but a 4-door parts car I've been getting parts from in the local junk yard has the original bill of sale, a few early repair invoices and the protecto-plate.
The seats even have aftermarket seat covers that have kept some of the vinyl like new. I guess after 30 years we have to be happy with what we have.
Rich

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SoCalRat,

These aren't copies. The one practically fell apart in my hands. The other is actually pretty decent but definetly 27 years old. (brought both home with me)

There are a few pics of my 63 Impala on my website. The 409 wasn't in that car, I found it in some old guys garage when I was 16 or 17. It is a 1963 engine and came from an SS.

On the quiz, 9 out of 10 is really good. You must know a thing or two about the Z-11 huh? And I just couldn't resist throwing in a trick question (#7).

Harley,

Thanks for the build sheet rundown. With all those copies I wonder why I can't find any in my cars? I guess they all didn't make it to the car or someone removed them. Im going to have to check a little further because 2 of my Chevelle's are virgin like and I can't imagine anyone ever removing the build sheet from them. Oh well, at least my 69 has the protect-o-plate.

Thanks for the input everybody,

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
During a resto on a 72 Pontiac, my brother found 5 build sheets in all sorts of places. I have typically found Chevelle build sheets on the gas tank and under the back seat. I have also found them in the back of front bench seats.

Most interesting lately though, I opened up the back of a bench seat on a 69 Chevelle and found two build sheets from subsequent cars in the production line. The seats were dark green vinyl and matched the back seat of the car. The back seat of that car had the correct build sheet for the vin. Go figure.

I have a green 69 Malibu that had only the left 1/3rd of the build sheet under the back seat but the full build sheet on top of the gas tank. That made my day. I purchased the car from the third owner and had little documentation of the 42 options until I found the build sheet.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woj,

Are you saying that a build sheet could be inside of a bench seat? As in remove the upholstery to get it?

If that's true then maybe I will find one for my cars yet.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yes, I am saying your build sheet may be in the back of the front seat of your car. This being from what I have personally found and what a few others I know have found. I don't know if I'd have the guts to remove the upholstery to find out, but if you were going to change material anyway, be on the look out.

I also have a 69 SS low mileage original and I removed the (bucket seat) seatback molded plastic and all I found was a computer card with a few numbers on it.

Hope this info helps. There's nothing like finding an original build sheet. Good Luck. Phil

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Mr409- I found the build sheet in my car in the seat back of the passenger's side seat. I just felt like looking for it one day and cut the back of the upholstery of the seat off and peeked in there with a flashlight and there it was! I pulled it out and put it in a frame. I think that's the only one left in the car because the carpet was already replaced and the gas tank was redone with some renu company.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino non-SS aka Kaileigh
136800B122947 | November 25, 1969
Green Mist #45 w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl Small Block
Factory Dual Exhaust and Rally Wheels
www.dreamelectric.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
some of this info sounds encouraging since I have completely stripped my '70 SS 396 car for a frame off, (the dash is still in though) and I have not seen any signs of a build sheet! I do have the original window sticker, protecto-plate, and the Pre-delivery Service and adjustment check sheet.

It would be nice to find the build sheet though!

·
Registered
22 Posts
What were the plants where these cars were built w/buildsheets in the upholstry? Was it particular to one plant or random? Could be helpful to know before tearing up the seats.

[This message has been edited by A-Body (edited 10-14-99).]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Woj and Shawn.

Im not going to look for it now, but I will keep an eye out when the seats get redone.

It's nice to know there is still hope.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

·
Registered
162 Posts
I found two build sheets in my '70 SS. One was on the gas tank, the other was stuck to the inside of the door panel. I removed the one from the gas tank, but the one stuck to the door panel remains. It is stuck on so good that removing it would destroy it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.