Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are three 2 1/2in Rams Horn exhaust manifolds still available from Chev parts dept: 3846563, 3814970, AND WHAT IS THE PART NUMBER FOR THE THIRD???

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Tom,

I've got:

these two look like mirror images of each other, they're L & R, but both have a big honkin ear sticking out the front. See them at www.flatlanderracing.com in the exhaust section. About $120 per.

Tom

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom,
I didn't know if the other manifold was 3797901 or 902. Have you noticed that the 3797901 and 3814970 are reversed? The 970 IS NOT right side, it is Left side. And also the 901 is for the Right, not Left as described (and pictured). Even if you look at the pictures of these 2 manfolds at the Flatlander site, you will notice that they are described wrong because the brackets for mounting the alt would be at the REAR of the engine!

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
37 Posts
3797901 - LH manifold used on '62 - '65 Corvette 327.

3814970 - RH manifold used on '62 - '65 Corvette 327.

3846563 - LH manifold used on '64 - '65 high performance Corvettes.

3797901 is cheaper by a pretty wide margin than the other two. I used that one on both sides on my Blazer, and cut off and ground down the generator bosses to eliminate them completely.

------------------

·
Registered
996 Posts
Gary,

Just curious it's great these parts are still available but why? Are they still actually making them or are they all left overs? That includes all the old parts GM still has.

thanks
John

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Yeah, the pictures at flatlander are reversed. I thought it was obvious. besides reversing, another popular trick (error) is to post pictures as a mirror image, like magazines and newspapers used do when they had the negative upside down.

Tom

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John,
No, these are not left overs. They are re-casts (and I think they are made in Mexico). These 2 1/2in Rams Horn ex manifolds are part of the GM performance line. They are still made because there are some racing classes which DO NOT allow ANYTHING but stock exhaust, no headers. There are LOTS of people who buy these manifolds. For example, 55-57 Chev owners who install a BIG SB, but want to have a stock type ex system. So, they install 2 1/2in Rams Horns and have a 2/12 ex system installed. I use these manifolds on my 56 Vette, even though they do not work as well as headers, it does provide a stock type appearance. I do not have any idea if Chev is still actually making them, or, if they made a one time quantity, and when they run out, that all there is. But for me, I have bought 2 of each. I ordered a second 901 today.

BY THE WAY, THE 970 IS FOR THE LEFT SIDE-----------------NOT THE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THE 901 IS FOR THE RIGHT SIDE.

BOTH OF THESE ARE LISTED WRONG BY DEALERS AND IN THE CHEV PARTS BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!
SINCE I HAVE EACH, NEW IN THE BOX, I PULLED THEM OUT AND CHECKED.

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is absolutely correct. They will physically bolt to either left or right side and work. But it would look kind of strange with the alt brackets at the rear of the block.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do these ram horns flow better than the rear exit manifolds?
I also like the stock look and not the heat and noise from headers. I have a 78 El Camino how would these fit in my car?

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob,
Yes these do flow better than the rear exit manifolds, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, they will NOT fit some chassis because of the front cross member. I know of no Chevelles/Malibus that they will clear. All you have to do to determine if they will clear is open the hood and look straight down from the 2 center ex ports. Is there a cross member there? Sorry!

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.