Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a chevelle too much power for a starter car...any motor 307 350 396 454 any of them is that too much power for a beginner?

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
All depends on the kid......Every kid will find trouble, find out how fast it will go, the question is where.

My oldest son is 17 and I won't let him get his permit. He's not responsible enough to earn it. I'm not going to just give it to him. He can get it on his own and buy his own set of wheels next year when he's 18.

If my younger son (now 9) stays on track, he will have some help getting his 1st car and be permitted to get his license. I fully expect that we'll throw some shiny parts at it and run it at the track.

What is too much? Nothing as long as it's used safely.

Devin

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
All depends on the kid......Every kid will find trouble, find out how fast it will go, the question is where.

My oldest son is 17 and I won't let him get his permit. He's not responsible enough to earn it. I'm not going to just give it to him. He can get it on his own and buy his own set of wheels next year when he's 18.

If my younger son (now 9) stays on track, he will have some help getting his 1st car and be permitted to get his license. I fully expect that we'll throw some shiny parts at it and run it at the track.

What is too much? Nothing as long as it's used safely.

Devin

:thumbsup: Couldn't agree more. My first car was a '77 Nova. Had a warmed over 350 in it and ran mid 13's. My parents helped me buy it and I worked after school to earn money to repaint it. I had alot of fun in that car and never once had a run in with the police or any kind of accident. I loved my car and treated it with respect.

On the other hand, my friend's first car was an '89 Iroc. Within 3 months of having the car, he had a dozen speeding tickets and got it impounded for street racing. His dad got it out for him without punishment and sad as it is, :sad: he got killed in it 2 weeks before graduation :sad:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Nick, you should be fine. If I were looking for a driver, I would go with a small block.Send me a pm if you like, There is a 71 for sale in Caroline County it is a 400 sb that may need to be tamed down a little.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My first car was a 71 Chevelle with a 307/Powerglide. Didnt take me long to swap in a roller 350.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
mine was my 69 SS elky. tired old 350/350 combo with a 2:73 peg leg. to crazy but it could still haul some ass. havent gotten in any trouble with it at all.. i have to much respect for and will not take any chance of it getting damaged or impounded. it really does depend on the kid. good luck

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I got my 69 when I was in high school, about 17 years old. It ran 14.7 with the 396, 3 burnt valves, 700 DP, points ign, crappy exhaust and Eagle ST tires.

I borrowed the money ($3,000) from my dad and made payments on it. He made me sign a contract, etc., stating the payments and also that I wouldn't race it. (He did the same thing with my brother, and my brother missed a few payments and my dad repo'd it: hence we started calling him Repo Man.)

Now, even though I said I wouldn't race it, the truth is I did. Not a ton, but probably 15 races or so over a two year period. The contract also said I wouldn't let anyone else drive it.

Of course, an older car is more dangerous, just due to engineering (brakes, steering, no air bags, etc). On the other side, it's great for a kid to have something he can work on.

·
Registered
439 Posts
A hotrod muscle car is a bad idea for any new driver. With the cost of fuel your better off with a honda. Spare a chevelle form the junk yard. If you wreck a Honda then no big deal, theres a zillion of them out there.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
My first was a 67 Camaro in 1985. It was a 210HP 327 with a powerglide. Perfect for a first car. Not alot of power but still cool. I fixed the HP problem later:D

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
my first car was a 70 bettle, it belonged to my parents, and was given to me a loaner while i was in highschool. I was expected to pay for all preventative maintenance that I had the money for, (oil changes, points, any upgrades I wanted) it was great car and a fantastic learning to as my dad taught me everything I needed to know and gave me a book titled "complete volkswagen guide for the complete idiot" although it was not fast by anymeans I saved up my money and put together a nice little stereo system, and when i should I could save some money my parents split the price of new upholstery for the front seats and a 400 dollar paint job from maaco. I was a perfect first car and I was very proud of it and made it my own. I was a fresman in college in my second semester when I found my chevelle and have not looked back since. I think it is important to "supply" a car if can for someone to learn on, understand what car ownership is, although they may not be able to afford to totally trick out their first ride if they can show initiative on thier own i think the goal has been accomplished!!!! In my opinion you have to learn to walk before you can run and my little bug was perfect to teach me how to walk!!! Good luck

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
I think an old Chevy is a good first car. A non-running Chevy at that! Get you and the kid(s) out to the garage and fix a few things. Not only do you get the Bonding thing going by working on the car....your kid son or daughter will learn some life skills such as shop safety, basic car mechanics, get 'hip' to your era music, and be impressed with your skills when it actually starts up! Last thing would be to let the kid not have a stake in the car....nothing at risk like time spent or a cash investment, nothing to respect.

Pretty cool to have my daughters know more about American Muscle and turning wrenches than some of their Import-driving male friends. The older daughter was my shop assistant when I was getting the RatVette on the road...."hand me a Half/Nine Boxend" and it would appear....I guess she was around age NINE at the time....
Number 2 loves cruising around in the El Camino. Heh heh, she'll be changing the oil for me next time that it is due when her college lets out for the summer.

I've seen/heard on the news some fatalities caused by street racing. Hondas and such now, American Iron back then.... All tragedies. Take the racing to the track. Now, would I cut a kid loose in a Chevelle with 454? How did you raise them? Time and place for everything?

I would tell ya, what will bend a Chevy fender will total one of those little Hondas!

·
Registered
198 Posts
if you live where theres a lot of snow it can be both good and bad. good because he'll learn how to handle rwd in the snow and no anti lock brakes, bad because if he doesn't pick up on how to drive it in the snow he may wreck. I wouldn't worry about too much car. as stated before any car can speed and get tickets, or try to street race

1 - 16 of 16 Posts