Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here change the ignition switch (key)? My f.i.l is having problems getting his van started, happened kinda suddenly, keys work fine in other locks. Does this require dismantling the steering column, or is it an easier fix?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I own a 97 and apparently these ignitions are the easiest to change. Even a theif with a screwdriver and pop it off in seconds and twist away to get it started. Doesnt need a hammer or anyhting, just a flat head screwdriver. My signals and cruise control, along with my horn stopped working suddenly last summer. This was after i heard and felt something go "crunch" in my steeringwheel/column while turning. The steering hung up for a second and then let lose. Dont know what it was but none of my other stuff is affected. My tranny is now starting to slip and I am hoping to get another month or two out of it before summer is here and i can send it to the junkyard. You might wanna try picking up a haynes manual. They have almost everything in it electrical and can walk you thru the process of changing the ignition.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Really easy and common Sid. Just pull the shrouding around it off (3 phillips screws from the bottom) and use a very small pick or allen wrench to insert into the release detent (a very small hole in the cloumn). Then turn the key until you feel the tool in the detent release it, then pull the lock cylinder out. I used to change them in under 30 minutes and that included having to recode the tumblers.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
wow, what a time for this to come up, our office manager at work just asked me why her key won't turn in her 90 something chyrsler van. Now I can fix it quickly and easily and have a get out of jail free card with the office:thumbsup:

Jeff

·
Registered
676 Posts
I own a 97 and apparently these ignitions are the easiest to change. Even a theif with a screwdriver and pop it off in seconds and twist away to get it started. Doesnt need a hammer or anyhting, just a flat head screwdriver. My signals and cruise control, along with my horn stopped working suddenly last summer. This was after i heard and felt something go "crunch" in my steeringwheel/column while turning. The steering hung up for a second and then let lose. Dont know what it was but none of my other stuff is affected. My tranny is now starting to slip and I am hoping to get another month or two out of it before summer is here and i can send it to the junkyard. You might wanna try picking up a haynes manual. They have almost everything in it electrical and can walk you thru the process of changing the ignition.

Good luck!
when does yours slip? in reverse? what engine?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts