Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1998 Z28 LS1 in a 1970 Chevelle SS

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  David Nafarrete 
#1 ·
I'm considering putting an LS1 out of 1998 Camaro Z28 (wrecked-I mean mangled very bad other than running gear), in my 1970 SS, I'm concerned about damaging the original LS5, and greatly devalue my SS! Also, there are some advantages to the car being a bit more 'operable' for my wife to drive occasionally-VERY occasionally. Anyway, it's automatic (turbo 400) to automatic (4l60e). Anyone have experience with this or see any major problems I should consider before I purchase this set up-Motor and tranny have less than 17k on them, takes 3500.00 to buy I want the car to be 100% correct other than running gear-I can't find any MAJOR roadblocks-lots of little ones though ie. vats, wireharness etc.....there are aftermarket companies that can help with these things!
Any suggestions???????????????????

#2 ·
why go to all the trouble of the wiring etc. (hard to get the bugs out) it would be much cheaper and very reliable to just turn your LS5 into a fuelie the kits are around $1000 new and would give you beter relaibility and it would start great, that way you could keep it correct and get fuel injection.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 350 or 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

#3 ·
my first thought was if you are concerned with the value of your cars originality why such a major modification?
for the money and less hassle i'd prefer a big block swap. it would be easier to install and replace to the original, than a big block to late model fuel injected small block conversion.
sorry but,my petpeve is big block ss cars with small blocks.

G
#4 ·
What a great idea! Unlike the others here, I think the swap would let you use the car more, not sacrifice the performance all that much and get decent gas milage out of it.

The are several companies that will make the necessary wiring harness you need for the swap. I would make sure thay know that no cutting of the original harness will be allowed. You need everything, the complete motor with all brackets and the computer.

You will need to do a little plumbing for the fuel system and add an electic pump, injection requires it.

This is not black majic, been done a lot and the necessary parts and help are availble.

I don't think you are nuts! By the way that is a very good price for the used bullet!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

#7 ·
At the risk of sounding like a cheesy movie director "What's your motivation"? These types of swaps are generally for making something special out of something not-so-special (e.g. 307 Malibu).

You've got to figure that you'll EASILY spend another $2000 for miscellaneous stuff to complete the conversion so now you have $5500 invested and you'll have less power but greatly improved drivability and mileage. Figuring that your mileage doubles to 20 and gas is $1.25 per it'll take you 44000 miles of driving to make up the difference.

In the meantime you'll be tripping over a (original?) big block in your garage trying to remember what power it had and how awesome it sounded.

G
#8 ·
I think the power will not be all that different. The SB will deliver near or more than 300 real hp, smooth all the way through the rpm band. Fuel economy will not be just a small improvement, it will be at least double, more like triple.

So how long will it take to recover the cost? If the motor is complete, then the wiring harness and fuel system is about all that will be needed. All the brackets for everything are on the motor.

I think this is a sound idea and will let the owner show off a car that otherwise would sit in the garage, not a fun thing. If I could find a 62 vette I could afford, I would put all of the running gear and suspension from my 93 in the 62. Now that is something to think about!

I believe these cars should be driven, lots!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

#10 ·
OK there are some objections to this idea--I thought this might be the case. However, I priced fuel injection to add to my ORIGINAL LS5 and received 3 prices from 3 companies STARTING at 3250.00$ That's right Three thousand two hundred and fifty dollars!!!!! Now, maybe I need to explain what I am trying to accomplish: preserve the original motor, (which will preserve the value-it will not be that hard to put the original running gear back in should I ever decided to sell it), and although I'm doing a frame off resto-I want to drive this car...lots I live 40 miles from work...one way!! It also needs to be somewhat driveable for my wife so it can driven by her if her vehicle is in for repairs. However, that being said, unfortunately there is a budget so if anyone some budget minded ideas that will fit this criteria---------I'm all ears!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all the input Dave

#11 ·
One word of caution maybe. You know the LSI has the latest OBDII computer set up that is very tricky to work with. Even senses pressure in the fuel tank. O2 sensors before and after the cat. converters. Speedometer is electric from the computer. Lots of things to consider. One heck of an engine and the price is reasonable, but don't get too carried away without doing some research. tom

#12 ·
I say do it, but I might opt for the LT1. It would be cheapter than the LS1 and you are still running a very nice looking, and behaving, TPI setup. I have priced several of these kits (minus the long block) for $1600. That includes the TPI, intake, and closed loop harness. You would have to provide the block, but it comes in less than the cost of the LS1. Of course, an LS1 would be very trick...

Don't overlook these LS1 Camaro's. With slight mods they are running low 13s and they will dip into 11s/12s with a good nitrous shot. How many of us are running that quick and getting 15 - 20 MPG? Not me!

Go for it Dave, and keep us posted. Jeff

------------------
Got Chevelles?
Jeff Carpenter
65 Malibu Convertible
See it before- www.littlecars.com/car1.jpg
67 ElCamino - Pics coming soon
Team Chevelle Gold #61

[This message has been edited by jeffc (edited 10-20-99).]

#13 ·
BESIDES THE OBVIOUS CHALLENGE OF THE WIRING HARNESS AND OBDII AND THE EMISSIONS STUFF, THE LS1 MOTOR IS AN EXELLENT MOTOR, BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT THE TRANSMISSION IN THAT CAR IS COMPUTER CONTROLLED, AND IS YOU DON'T HAVE THE SAME EXACT GEARING IN THE REAR, THE CAR WILL SHIFT FUNNY, FOR EXAMPLE IF YOUR CHEVELLE HAS A 373 OR HIGHER GEAR, THE TRANNY WILL SHIFT FROM FIRST TO SECOND AT LIKE 8 MIKLES AN HOUR, NOT TO MENTION THE COMPUTER CONTROLLED SPEDOMETER, THOSE MOTORS ARE EXELLENT BUT MY RECOMENDATION WOULD BE TO JUST SWAP THE MOTOR, FORGET THE TRANNY, IF IT WON'T RUN RIGHT , DROP A CARB ON IT, GOOD LUCK, ONE OTHER IDEA, WOULD BE TO GET A SIX SPEED FROM ANOTHER LATEMODEL CAMARO, AND USE THAT, NOW THAT WOULD BE TRICK

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.