Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy parting out a 1985 caprice that has a stock length ford 9 inch rear. Will the rear fit easily into a 1970 Chevelle?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be installing coilovers. What is the difference between the caprice and Chevelle rears? Is it length or mounting locations?

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
I will be installing coilovers. What is the difference between the caprice and Chevelle rears? Is it length or mounting locations?
Likely BOTH mounting and overall length.

1964-1972 Chevelles used different mounting locations than the full-size lineup. Of course, with the 1985 version of the Caprice, I really don't know. 80s G-bodies are similar in design to Chevelles (Mid-size), but still differ... IIRC, some companies like Currie, offer "Chevelle" brackets that you can weld to the 9-inch housing...

Same idea regarding the length. Generally, the Caprice being a "full size" car, the rearend will be longer than the "mid-size" Chevelle... Quick research indicates the 85 Caprice has a track width of 60.6 inches, while the 70 Chevelle is 59.9 inches... That's only 3/4 inch, but really 3/8" on each side... Not that much. That should be able to easily be overcome with wheel backspacing.

But depending on price and equipment (traction loc/positraction/locker/gear ratio) you may want to pick it up. 9-inch rears are relatively straight forward to narrow to the correct length.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Bolt-in 9" housings are affordable. You may as well buy one and the right axles, instead of narrowing, re-splining, and otherwise adapting.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
gm did not put a 9 inch ford rear in a caprice or anything for that matter. are you saying someone went through the trouble to modify and install a 9 in in an old caprice?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No they bought one from strange engineering that fit in the stock mounting locations of a 1985 Caprice.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
No they bought one from strange engineering that fit in the stock mounting locations of a 1985 Caprice.
It still won't fit without major modification to the housing. Not worth the hassle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts