Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the early 1980s look is coming around in popularity...Super Trick wheels are almost commanding Torq Thrust type prices around here. This '72 looks like it has the old Centerline Auto Drags on it, which are pretty close nonetheless.

This car looks to be straight out of the 1980s car shows I used to hit up with my dad. If the bodywork is clean I think $15k would be a pretty fair 'retail' price.

1972 Chevelle

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
wasn't around in the 80's, but those wheels make it an "80's" look? Never would have known.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was 'the look' in the midwest through the 1980s and early 1990s, for sure. Still a great look IMO.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
An unadulterated 80's car, or 70's for that matter, would be pretty cool. They are different and now old enough to have respect. This car, with a lift off hood and deck lid, it might be more race car than street car. I wouldn't be surprised to see nasty plastic racing seats and an aluminum dash taking up space in the interior. It would have been nice if the seller had included more and better pictures.

Tony, I agree with you about the Super Tricks. There is an increasing interest in performance parts from that era for the guys building period correct cars. I think "vintage looking" stuff is past its prime, the market is moving towards real vintage parts. The same can be said about old National Dragsters and other racing memorabilia, 70's stuff is starting to take off, I think the 80's stuff isn't far behind.

Steve R

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,716 Posts
I believe the riveted together Centerline wheels were street legal, but the bolt-together Cragar Super Tricks were not.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is the evil (non-identical) twin to the '72 I was racing back in the 80's in Minnesota. Mine was black though... Centerlines, ladder bars, oh yeah...good memories.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
There were a ton of Chevelles around in the 1980s...and fortunately, there still are.

But, if you wanted to be different while driving a "common" car, one route was to run different wheels. A lot of people ran the traditional Cragar five spoke or Torque Thrust wheels or even factory Ralley Wheels. These were....different.

Some of the outlandish paint schemes of the time were done in an attempt to be.....different.

This is also a time where OEM and Delco parts were super easy to find, lots of stock motors were on the street, and your local NAPA had just about everything. Before everyone ordered from Summit or Jegs, there were lots of local speed shops around. Junk yards still had lots to pick through. Nothing was made in China....other than rice and tableware. MTV actually played videos and roller skates each had four wheels on them, not in a line.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Those wheels are Centerlines. I do remember them as far back as the mid-70s (1975 was the earliest reference I have ever seen).
Cragar SST wheels were around in 1972 in racing circles (check out Hot Rod magazines from 1972 covering the Winternationals). Later they offered chromed versions (I remember seeing a black 69 Cougar CJ428 wearing them back in 1977) and yes, they were street legal.

The car is equipped with South Side Bars which are a plus.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,716 Posts
Those wheels are Centerlines. I do remember them as far back as the mid-70s (1975 was the earliest reference I have ever seen).
Cragar SST wheels were around in 1972 in racing circles (check out Hot Rod magazines from 1972 covering the Winternationals). Later they offered chromed versions (I remember seeing a black 69 Cougar CJ428 wearing them back in 1977) and yes, they were street legal.
Cragar SST (Street Super Trick) were made of chromed steel and were street legal but the original Super Tricks were made of spun aluminum and were for drag racing only. Those were somewhat fragile. I had them on my race car in the late 70's/early 80's.They had a dull finish as produced but I had mine polished which looked like chrome.

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Gold moroso valve covers! Centerline wheels, how can you go wrong? Only thing missing is the big hood scoop glassed onto the factory steel hood.
I've got centerlines and rear window louvers on my Camaro. Love the old school look, only thing mine is missing is the chrome hooked side pipe headers that I sold like a idiot.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is a lot of good info here, like it looks like an old race car, so I'd be concerned about whats missing. I can see the wiper motor is gone. Yes, on the wheels, centerlines were around in the 70's, my dad ran them on a corvette in the late 70's and they were riveted. The Super Tricks, were bolted and yes the aluminum ones WERE NOT street legal but the steel SST was. The super tricks gave way to the Weld draglites in the early 80's. In fact, early Super Tricks had single bolt patterns. The later ones had the dual pattern. The front wheels on my dads nova were from the early 70's and were single pattern.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
There is a lot of good info here, like it looks like an old race car, so I'd be concerned about whats missing. I can see the wiper motor is gone. Yes, on the wheels, centerlines were around in the 70's, my dad ran them on a corvette in the late 70's and they were riveted. The Super Tricks, were bolted and yes the aluminum ones WERE NOT street legal but the steel SST was. The super tricks gave way to the Weld draglites in the early 80's. In fact, early Super Tricks had single bolt patterns. The later ones had the dual pattern. The front wheels on my dads nova were from the early 70's and were single pattern.
Nice looking Nova.

Thanks for the tutorial on the Super Tricks. I have a pair of near perfect single bolt pattern front runners, 5x4 1/2's, I thought they were early but even pictures of race cars in 74-75 most often show dual boot pattern. Around here there are still some old time bracket racers that still have them on their cars. They provide a classic look, which may not be current, but will never make you say "what were they thinking". Many current styles of popular wheels are not aging well.

Steve R

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I bought a set of satin finish Centerline autodrags for my 68 Chevelle in 1988 while in high school. I've recently been thinking about purchasing a set for my 71Chevelle.

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Don't forget the mullet.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I tried using Centerline wheels in the early 80's. After about 4 sets being out of round, vibrating, and would not balance I gave up. Went back to a stock wheel.

·
Premium Member
28,654 Posts
$17,500 OBO for a car with a sketchy description and its obscured by fender covers,blankets and a car cover.Not the way to sell a car.
Sorry,in my mind there should be a ton pictures including the interior..and the car should be off the dollies..outside.

489 with 4.88 gears..mismatch right there.

And he has this 70 SS for sale: 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS | eBay

..and he has to say "FYI 70-72 chevelles just gained blue chip status at barret jackson, so i dont see the price of chevelles going down anytime soon,just up"

OK,thanks for that bit of information :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just had to share some pics of cars that I owned in the '90s.

1969 with 402 BBC built by Buck Kinney (this guy can build an engine!), ladder bars , cage. Circa 1992.

1970 with 350, T10 4 speed, widest tires money could buy at the time - LOL , 4 link, cage. Circa 1994.

Sorry about the picture quality, but you get the idea.

Graham

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL Chris, well said.

This one is back up for sale for $15,500 - getting closer to reality: 1972 Chevelle Malibu

$17,500 OBO for a car with a sketchy description and its obscured by fender covers,blankets and a car cover.Not the way to sell a car.
Sorry,in my mind there should be a ton pictures including the interior..and the car should be off the dollies..outside.

489 with 4.88 gears..mismatch right there.

And he has this 70 SS for sale: 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS | eBay

..and he has to say "FYI 70-72 chevelles just gained blue chip status at barret jackson, so i dont see the price of chevelles going down anytime soon,just up"

OK,thanks for that bit of information :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts