Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight. I want to drop the front end 2-3" on my '80 Landau. now, I could spring for dropped spindles at $150, and shorter springs for $100 or so. However, The way I understand it, I would need new control arms to run the spindles (they only come full size I think, and besides, I eventually want full sized brakes up front, so there would be no point buying the small spindles and replacing them in a year.) the control arms would cost a frickin arm and a leg, and it wouldn't stop there : with larger spindles I'd have to run larger brakes (got those, so that's OK) a new master cylinder, and all the peripheral connectors and fasteners. So suddenly I'm looking at a job I can only do all in one go for 1500-2000 bucks. OUCH!

Do I have it all wrong? Is there an order I can do this in that will steadily improve handling and drop the car bit by bit so I don't have to do it all at once? I DO want to do it right - corner carving is at least half of the thrill of driving for me..

Thanks!

Cam

·
Registered
144 Posts
I could be wrong,but i think the 2wd S-10 "2 dropped spindles are a direct fit in the "80 Malibu.Try this out :http://www.p-s-t.com
for some performance suspension upgrades.
I have bought from them myself,and their service is second to none.
Check out this pic of S-10 spindle : http://www.ultraperformance.com/belltech/spindles.shtml
HR

[This message has been edited by halldor (edited 03-26-2001).]

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes S10 spindles will bolt right in, you will get the best prices out of a truck magazine or from some place like Summit. As far as front springs go you can use the springs from a 3rd generation F body or S10 also it just depends how stiff you want the front end, Iroc Camaro and Trans Am springs will work, buy Moog springs and save some money. I think you can buy a set of Iroc springs for less than $40.00.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Why don't you put this in the Steering and Suspension forum, where it belongs?

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
there is only one way to fail, and thats to quit.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.. sorry, didn't know there WAS a suspension forum. My bad.

Cam

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Ken: I didn' tknow the spring seats were the same cross between gen 3 camaros, s-10 and malibus. I'm going for something pretty stiff, because I like to corner nice and hard, and I want the go pretty low by the time it's all done. Would the S-10 springs be the stiffer ones?

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.