Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nieghbor just bought a 78 SS and I am wondering if it is the real deal. He paid 9,000 for the car. The VIN number is 1W80L8D457774. If this means any thing to anyone could you please let me know? We are getting all the numbers off the car for the engine, trans., and rearend, also the cowl tag.Thanks for any imput.

------------------
1964 SS malibu http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1551256&a=13393249&f=0

[This message has been edited by streetroder69 (edited 12-10-2001).]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Try ecparts.com they may be able to help. I also have a 78 SS El Camino. It was black above,silver below with SUPER SPORT on the doors. Has a 305 2bbl and th350 with 2.73 open rear.
There was a nice one just like mine for sale a few months ago around the corner, he wanted $4500. Super nice car, red interior with split bench and gauges. Mine has buckets and a console but no gauges. but it does have a/c, cc, and mist delay wipers. Its my daily driver for now. Is his a Black Knight?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
By the VIN this car has a 350.
But in 1978.. Threre is nothing special about the "SS" package.
All that package is, is stickers.. As long as it has the stickers.. It is an "SS".
You need the building sheet to be sure if it's an SS from factory.

But nothing is special about the El-Camino SS from those years (78 up..). The "SS" Package then, was only stickers.

Here, read this:
"When the El Camino was completely redesigned in 1978, The El Camino SS package was resurrected, but by now it was basically just a "Super Sport" decal. Choo-Choo Customs in Tennessee built their El Camino SS in conjunction with Chevrolet. It could be ordered through a Chevrolet dealer, and consisted mostly of ground-effects body panels.

Other models of current interest include the '78 El Camino with the 350 V8 and 4-speed manual, the diesel El Camino, the "Royal Knight" El Camino, and the "Diablo" Caballero."

------------------
Shai

1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
Restoration started: February 10th 2001
TC member #1278

[This message has been edited by ChaosMalibu (edited 12-10-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
A 350? Although the 350 is a bolt in and a good one, it was only factory installed on that generation on the '78 El Caminos & GMC Caballeros. The CAFE reclassification of the El Camino meant that the thirstier 350 was toast for '79. At least the 267 was added to the lineup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.