Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the wiring to a stereo in a 78 malibu? I mean like which is power, remote, ground, accessory, ground, etc. I dont need to know the speakers, because I have my own wires for them.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 Deluxe Sport Coupe 350ci
1978 Malibu Classic 305ci
"Goes real slow with the hammer down!"

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Justin
I don't have the best schematic for a 78. Is this an original radio you are trying to install? Normally the AM monos take three wires in. Black is ground, Yellow is power, and Gray is lamps. Was your car originally wires for the AM?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im installing a CD-Player, and the car has an AM/FM in it now.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Oh, Then you should have some instructions with your new CD. CD needs a constant 12 volt fused line for the program, clock, & memory line. This you have to get off the fuse block. Ground you can pick up under the dash. The gray wire for lights if you need that one. 12 volt power is a question. How much power does this need. There should be a recommended wire size in your instructions. The yellow may be too small.
Does this have a remote changer in the trunk? Add a little more information. If this is an aftermarket unit, bet someone out there has installed a lot of them.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know how to install them, I just needed to know what the wires are that are already going into the factory unit, because I would rather not run any more then I have to. I know what color wires coming out of my stereo is which, it is writing right on the head unit.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I have the radio out now, I know which wires are for the speakers. There are 3 wires that are for power in some way. Black, Yellow, and Grey. Anyone know which is which?

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never mind, I saw my answer in the first reply. Anyway, that means I need a hot wire, where can I get that off of?

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moloko:
Never mind, I saw my answer in the first reply. Anyway, that means I need a hot wire, where can I get that off of?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You need to take a look at my second reply. How large of a power wire does the unit call for? I can't see if this a giga-watt rap blaster that needs a large wire. The yellow wire was the original power wire. It may be too small. You may also have a second power wire for the memory. That needs a constant unswitched 12 volts. That goes to the fuse block.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it, I just thought I would have to split the main power off another source, I forgot the car had addons in the fuse block. The stereo works fine, it isnt a very high power stereo, only about 40 watts and it ran off my old buicks factory wiring. Right now im just trying to find some way to mount the stereo in the hole, and mount 2 6x9 front speakers.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.