Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A strange SQUEAKING noise is comming from the rear window glass. While driving on a mildly rough road, I put my fingers between the glass and the body and there is realative movement.
What can I do to stop the squeaking?

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
redvipercm, I could say to just remove the trim, cut the old seal and take the glass out and reseal it, but then I realized that I need to do a better explaination. So here goes, First, you need a couple special tools, a moulding remover and a tool to cut the seal behind the glass and a lllooottt of patience. Carefully remove the moulding(and I do mean carefully or you'll break the glass) then carefully insert the cutter between the glass and the seal(carefully-same as above) and ever so slowly pull it around the perimeter to cut the seal, it would be good if you had a helper to push gently on the glass while you are cutting it out. After you get it out, you have to clean the glass and the channel so the new seal will stick and seal. You will have to get a ribbon seal and a tube of windshield caulk from your parts store. I know , it's sounds like a lot of work and it's not for the faint of heart, but if you have a friend or know someone who has done it before, get them to help you or if none of the above applies, take it to a glass shop to get it done. My $0.02. Hope this helps.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
Those who do the world's real work don't usually wear ties.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is a common problem with 78-87 El Caminos mine does it too. Although i do most everything my self i am going to have it done so if it leaks they will fix it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.