Team Chevelle banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you really want that car then take 5 grand in cash to his house when you look at it. Cash in hand will usually make the seller go for it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think the 73 Malibu is a great looking body style. That particular car looks pretty rough for $6800 though. You can buy a pretty nice C4 Corvette for that much $$$.

·
Premium Member
13,534 Posts
IMO think if I were looking for this era car I would focus on a 73 or 74 Nova over a Chevelle. They may be a bit more expensive than the Chevelle but a much better looking car . There is a reason the 73-77 Chevelles are cheap. Fix the big bumpers on the Nova and you have a good looking car that I’ll bet a lot more parts will interchange between the years. Plus they will support a big block which makes one bad ass street car.
Buying a 73-77 Chevelle ( unless it is in very good condition) seems like a bad idea. Every time one turns around there is going to be a parts issue. The only way to overcome that is to buy one that needs no parts.
Don’t know a lot about 3D printers but maybe one of those could replicate some of the plastic interior parts that are not reproduced.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
IMO think if I were looking for this era car I would focus on a 73 or 74 Nova over a Chevelle. They may be a bit more expensive than the Chevelle but a much better looking car . There is a reason the 73-77 Chevelles are cheap. Fix the big bumpers on the Nova and you have a good looking car that I’ll bet a lot more parts will interchange between the years. Plus they will support a big block which makes one bad ass street car.
Buying a 73-77 Chevelle ( unless it is in very good condition) seems like a bad idea. Every time one turns around there is going to be a parts issue. The only way to overcome that is to buy one that needs no parts.
Don’t know a lot about 3D printers but maybe one of those could replicate some of the plastic interior parts that are not reproduced.
I just can't get on board with the 73 up Nova 1/4 window shape. Earlier versions look MUCH better IMO.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Nice car, but just not so attractive.
Nova's got them beat.
But not before 73, ha.........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Three other were sold at Same Auction
1973 Chevelle SS $28,700
1973 Malibu $19,500
1977 Malibu Classic Mint as came from Factory $18,500
Like them or Not they are Getting Looked at More and are Bringing More than Ever before
I love them always Have always will

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
SoCal CL had a nice runner 73 about 6 months ago for 3500..I bet he has no papers on the rebuild or could say who did it whats been done.
No way would I pay 5k for that, sorry. Easy to be in that car 15k it could be nice but dont be surprised if its a tough sell.
Gotta think whos gonna buy it later, some old guy who wants ac power everything good mpg? Crowd is shrinking
Only buy it if you love it then dont worry about what you "spend" (not invest)

You need to drive these, it could drive ok or be falling apart. worst mistake I ever made was buying my 67...in primer. Holy cow over 10 gal of bondo came off couldnt even find a reference point lol.

Dont pay attention to mileage chances are its not correct
And carbd engines were usually shot by 80k miles.

·
Registered
13,415 Posts
of the 73-77, 74-76 Laguna
This holy grail MATCHING NUMBERS LAGUNA SS454 only went for $18,000. Seller should have taken it to BJ.

1974 Chevrolet Chevelle Laguna Type S-3 454

I had the same color combo except with a black vinyl top back in the 70's. SBC 350 -2V car. Was really nice car to drive. We did the usual, cam, intake/carb, exhaust, gears. Got rear ended summer of '77. Wasn't wearing a seatbelt (no one did back then), head hit the A-pillar, I ended up in the hospital with head and neck injury, that was the end of me playing football in college.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Absolutely. 454 and M-21 four speed. No air conditioning. 3.42 posi rear end. Swivel buckets. It has all the right boxes checked. Or not checked. Rotisserie restoration claimed. The production numbers for such a combination must be very very low.
During that time period, we were having major gas price spikes and shortages. You lined up around the block for gas, but only if your plate was odd or even according to the date. If your even dated plate ran out of gas, you were screwed until the next day. Fun times. For the most part, you had to be a little crazy to order an SS454.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have two chevelles a 69/73, 69 I can find anything and everything for it, 73 not so much, If you like it buy it, pay or offer what you think is right, but it is true interior parts are a "B" to find for it, im thinking about just doing sheet metal paneling for the inside panels. But i think they look good, I paid 4500 for my 73 and did paint and body, it has a GM 350 crate motor th350 (came with the car). Like I said, if you like it go for it.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Tire Sky Wheel

Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
0 Posts
I’m not looking to make money or anything, but I also don’t want to end up losing a ton of money by getting myself into this.

I would love to talk him down further (sub $5k) on price, but he was actually asking $7900 at first and I got him down to $6800. I could maybe get $6500 but that’s probably it.

It’s a Southern California car as far as I know. Here in LA it’s the cheapest I can find that’s actually running. The guy says there’s no rust but I don’t really believe that. Engine and transmission are rebuilt according to him, but there’s no records.

I don’t really think the seller’s English is that great though so it’s tough to get info. Most answers are very short or just yes or no. But as far as I know everything is good except for the interior, paint, and shocks.

So I’ll probably be at least $12-15k into it for that stuff. If I could sell the car for that price or higher when the time comes that’s really all I’m hoping for. I don’t really know if people pay that type of money for this generation with over 100k on the chassis though. Of course I’d love to have one of these cars but the idea of losing thousands on top of other costs of ownership for a car like this kind of scares me to be honest haha
I would let him set on it a couple of days make him think he has lost a sale then offer 4500

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Bought a new '73 SS Chevelle when they first came available...Black, silver stripes and had the swivel bucket seats. Great looking cars if done right. Looking at it as an investment I would pass, but if it is something YOU want then by all means go for it. The truth about this generation of cars is that many of them were snapped up by the circle track guys because of the heavy frames and they were affordable at the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I recently found a 1973 chevelle Malibu on Facebook in my area and I really don’t know enough about these cars to know if it’s a good deal. I know 73 isn’t a very desirable year. The car has around 100k miles, rebuilt 350 engine, claims to make 400hp. Needs shocks, dash, seats, and paint. $6800 for the car. Is it worth buying and putting money in or will I never be able to come close to making my money back? I really don’t mind the paint but I would want to fix everything else. But also it’ll probably be harder to resell someday without new paint so I’m not sure.

View attachment 730053 View attachment 730054 View attachment 730055 View attachment 730056 View attachment 730057 View attachment 730058 View attachment 730059 View attachment 730060
73 wasnt very desirable? ok well just walk away then and get the year you think was desirable.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts