Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi Bob,
I saw Pete Lohr use your photo to Photoshop his 4-door hardtop wagon. I was impressed with your wagon and Pete's use of the photo. I was inspired to try Photoshoping my own version. Thanks, for the inspiration! I love your wagon.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I will think about that and how that could be implemented. I don't want to make the roof higher in the back. I could lower the front of the roof an inch or so. Not sure an inch is worth the trouble. I don't think I would use the Vista Cruiser glass, just a step in the roof that would mimic the way a domed hood steps up.
Yeah, I meant to say I wouldn’t use the glass, but a step on the back would be somewhat reminiscent of Elky’s that had the fiberglass shell. D56DDF9D-DD88-475D-9463-74B80F2DA85A_1592940615608.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
"Elky with a shell" is one of the looks I want to avoid. I would need to find a way to implement a small step without detracting from the look of my short wheelbase, short overhang wagon. A term that I have heard used to describe such a short 2 door wagon is "Shooting Brake". I like that term. I think a location for a small step, but otherwise keeping the roof flat, can be found.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I do like a shooting break. It looks like most contemporary shooting brakes have a swept-back design, which could look good with a Chevelle 2-door design you are developing.

BTW, if your tire well is going to get cut and it’s in good shape, I’m in the market for one.

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have a buyer for the wagon doors, so driver's side doors were removed this morning. I took out the B pillar and bolted in an El Camino door to fill some of the space. No turning back now!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Aha! I also stripped and epoxy primed the EC hood and tailgate the past couple of weeks. 😀

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,916 Posts
I have another photoshopped image with a different view. I misplaced the original color version with a yellow wagon, but found this grayscale copy. Still a nice image.
I like this image a lot better than the prior image and there is a 2 door wagon that looks almost exactly like the one you photoshopped.

If you can find the show that Ian Roussel (Full Custom Garage) did to turn the 55 4 door Olds into a 55 Olds 2 dr coupe you would have the perfect set of instructions for what you want to create.

Find used 1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 2 Door Custom in Ventura, California, United States

This is the after picture of the 4 door that he cut up and welded it back together 2 door style.

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am a fan of Ian and his show. He is an inspiration, and there is so much to learn from watching him fabricate. But, something about that 55 Olds bothers me.

I have been trying to watch the 55 Olds episode again. If I remember correctly, that car doesn't have side window glass.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
GM stylists were penning some really nice lines back in the day. One just has to look at a 1955-6-7 Nomad to see the sense of proportion. And the lovely Chevelle 300 2-door wagons of 64/65. There have been a bunch of home-grown attempts at making a 2-door wagon that have not been successful aesthetically, so draw it all out first. Make sure you are happy with the lines before you form them. The windows are such a critical element in the style that can make or break the design.

Speaking of wagons, here's a stretched '65 Malibu wagon model that has the dimensions of a 6-door but has only 2:

I also found a pic of a raised roof '68 Malibu wagon:

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Cam, the windows and B pillar of my concept remind me of the 55-56-57 Nomad. I named my concept the Nomad SS soon after the concept was completed. Since the 72 wagons were available in a Nomad model I decided to use Nomad emblems (1970-1972) on the rear quarters of this car instead of the Concours emblems. I already have the emblems. I also have a pair of 68-69 Nomad emblems that were used on the front fenders, and might look good with SS emblems located below them.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts