Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's it worth?
I own a 1972 Chevelle SS454 Convertible.
1 of 70 1972 LS5 454 Convertibles built, approx. 32 known to still exist?

Factory 454 LS5 engine – original numbers matching. Full Build Sheet available. Special Order Car, 34 or 35 options on the build sheet. Cowl Induction, Air Conditioning, Auto T-400 trans rebuilt, Cruise Control, Buckets/Console, Tach/Gauges, AM/FM 8-trac, deluxe seat belts, Posi rear axle with 3.31 gears (original) rebuilt, tint windows, side moldings, bumperettes, etc, etc.
True original Cranberry Red/White stripe/white roof and white interior combination. It is believed to be the only real 1972 LS5 454 Convertible with this FACTORY color combination that still exists.
Car is in nice driver condition. It is mostly original. Runs excellent and drives like a dream. My dream was to restore the car but unfortunately health issues and finances do not permit. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own. Many clones and only one original!
I've only driven the car a few times in the last several years. Stored in heated garage.
Last appraisal was 10 or 12 years ago.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Wow, what a sweet car, sorry to see you thinking of selling it. The experts will chime in here shortly and point you in the right direction, I'm following this to see where it leads. Please keep us informed along the way and of coarse, good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
ill add that if the car described above, if correctly restored, would be worth in the $150,000. Ball Park. But without knowing what shape its in now, there's no way to estimate it's value currently. I know how hard it would be to sell a car like that. I wish you good luck with whatever you do with it. I hope I don't have to sell mine until I'm too feeble to drive it.

·
Premium Member
4,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
They're not worth what the owners think usually. I'd like to see a $150K '72. Most that I've seen on ebay usually peter out around 50k-60k for nice ones. JMO

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
They're not worth what the owners think usually. I'd like to see a $150K '72. Most that I've seen on ebay usually peter out around 50k-60k for nice ones. JMO
They are usually fake tributes .... or a real SS big block convertible

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
How many original LS5 convertibles have you seen?
Enough to know they aren't worth anywhere near 150K. Don't let the low production numbers fool you, if they are in fact correct. Exactly how many? I can't put a number on it.

Reactions: BlueSS454 and ACES1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, been a member here for a long time!
My car was recorded as #10 on the Team Chevelle list of true 'W' VIN 72 Chevelle Convertibles, many years ago.

I know I was going to be subject to all sorts of feedback here and I'm ok with that.
The fact is there are very few of these cars and mine is somewhat unique. I really want to see constructive feedback from educated Chevelle enthusiasts.
I have not looked at the value of these cars or Team Chevelle in many years.

I wanted to be buried in the car but was unable to get a permit..

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
Car is certainly gorgeous.......and has pretty much all the favorable options which command a premium. Car appears to have been in "the" registry for a while.....which is big, IMHO.

I think 150K is a bit rich.....but it only takes one buyer to prove me wrong and two to start a bidding war. Finding a good "comp" will be difficult.

I see you're in Calgary. For a car that will command a hefty price tag, does the current exchange rate between the US Dollar and Canadian Dollar come in to play in terms of wanting to sell this car now?

FWIW, selling a car during a global pandemic likely (but not necessarily) will result in a smaller buying pool as people are unsure about the Economy and don't want to run out of cash.

Then again, somebody may feel the need to cross this off their bucket list.

Great car regardless.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
I've seen 70 convertibles sell in the $150,000. To $250,000. range. Granted it's a 72 not 70 but with build sheet, original engine, highly optioned and a W on the trim tag i stand by my $150,000. ballpark estimate. There have even been stated tribute 70 clones go over $150,000. I remember a gold pro touring convertible last year that went for $180,000. The OP has a very desirable low production, original car. We're not talking about a run of the mill 72 big block.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought this car from a little town SW of Chicago. Kewanee, Illinois. I have a US title for the car - not sure if that helps the US buyer?

Any thoughts on where to advertise? Some of the auction sites are crazy expensive..

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Check into carsonline.com for a selling place. I used it years ago , and it was pretty cheap and was listed until sold. May be the same still.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts