Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I've always wondered about this, but could never find the true answer. Why did some 1972 Chevelles come from the factory with black painted headlight bezels and solid amber parking light lenses, while others had chrome bezels and clear front, amber side parking light lenses. Was there a specific option to request one or the other? I've seen both on all Chevelles, Malibus, and SS's. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

·
Registered
1972 Chevelle ZZ383
446 Posts
All I know is that mine came with black bezels & amber parking lenses from the factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the print ads that I've seen show the painted bezels and solid amber lenses. I wonder if all '72 models were like that at the start of production, but later on they quit painting the bezels & changed the color of the lenses. It just always puzzled me....
And personally, I like the black bezels & solid amber lights. Looks much more aggressive.

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
I have not seen them consistant. The phase-in may have varied from plant to plant, giving different combinations of lenses and headlight bezels. If it sounds like I know, I don't really. I am as interested in a definitive answer as you are.

·
Registered
146 Posts
the blacked out headlamp bezle was for ss cars as for the amber coner lamps i have seen both on both modles i heard that it dependes on the production dates my ss is june 14 72 a wedsday car and it has clear hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I know the SS cars were black and I think the others were not. As far as the amber or clear lenses I think the "Chevelle" model cars were supposed to have amber and the "Malibu" model cars were supposed to have clear. I have seen SS cars with both so that dispells that theory. I have seen more that leads me to beleive it has to do with production date. My '72 was made in May and has clear and a friend of mine has a '72 SS made in November of '71 and it has amber????

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I have seen actual 72 malibus with the same blacked out treatment...amber lights as well

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I know the SS cars were black and I think the others were not.
The SS, and Heavy Chevy models are the only models that got the blacked out headlight bezels.
I still think they ALL had blacked out bezels from thr factory. I have NOS headlight and parking bezels that are blacked out. There is only one part number for each bezel. Here is a link to the cover of the 1972 Chevelle showroom brochure, showing the blacked out treatment on a Malibu.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2547608380059404744ijrzDt?vhost=rides

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, back in '72 when I was a kid, my dad bought a new Chevelle Malibu--not an SS and just had the standard 307 V8. It had the painted bezels and amber lights. My uncle also bought a Malibu 350 with painted bezels/amber lights. Around the corner someone also had a new Chevelle (a Malibu 350), and it had chrome bezels and clear lenses--again not an SS. But on the brochure link above, it's got painted bezels and clear lenses! It must have to do with production dates and when the factories put the changes into effect. The mystery continues, I guess... Kinda like the '71 Chevelle taillights. Didn't they change from the original design to the one that was also continued for all '72 taillights?

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
the blacked out headlamp bezle was for ss cars as for the amber coner lamps i have seen both on both modles i heard that it dependes on the production dates my ss is june 14 72 a wedsday car and it has clear hope this helps
WOW MY car is a June 14 '72 car also!:thumbsup:
which plant was yours built @?
mine was Baltimore.

Oh & to keep this on topic,mine has clear-front turn lenses.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,275 Posts
I know the SS cars were black and I think the others were not. As far as the amber or clear lenses I think the "Chevelle" model cars were supposed to have amber and the "Malibu" model cars were supposed to have clear. I have seen SS cars with both so that dispells that theory. I have seen more that leads me to beleive it has to do with production date. My '72 was made in May and has clear and a friend of mine has a '72 SS made in November of '71 and it has amber????
"Chevelle" is not a model :noway:

·
Registered
1972 Chevelle ZZ383
446 Posts
My August 1971 Unmolested 72 Malibu has amber lights and black bezels. I have always heard the solid ambers were for early model cars and clear later models.
That jives with both of my early year built 72 Velles.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
"Chevelle" is not a model :noway:
Okay, how about '72 cars with "C" chevelle, "D" Malibu vin.
Example: 1C37F2R123456
1D37W2R508361

What does the second letter in the vin denote?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts