Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody, new to team chevelle. looking at a 1972 elcamino ss. it is a 350 car with 4spd. did elcaminos come with 10 bolts in the ss package? the rest of the car appears to be ss.

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
The 350 2-barrel was the base engine with the SS and it came with the 10-bolt rear (unless a trailer axle was ordered). All the 4-barrel engine came with 12-bolts generally, except that late in the run Chevrolet phased in '73 rear differentials in some cases. The '73 rears were the 10-bolt 8.5" corporate rear or possibly the obscure 8.75" 10-bolt (not sure which, but 10-bolt regardless).

·
Registered
374 Posts
In 72 you could get an ss with any v8 engine including the 307 but the 454 and I think the 307 were not sold in califonia because of emissions. IF my memory serves me correctly.
Because of this, the 12 bolt apparently was optional on any a-body. I would think that all big blocks (at least the 454) would have come with the 12 bolt.
I pulled one out of a 72 small block elco at a wrecking yard a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
In 72 you could get an ss with any v8 engine including the 307 but the 454 and I think the 307 were not sold in califonia because of emissions. IF my memory serves me correctly.
Because of this, the 12 bolt apparently was optional on any a-body. I would think that all big blocks (at least the 454) would have come with the 12 bolt.
I pulled one out of a 72 small block elco at a wrecking yard a few years ago.
'71-'72 SS package available with any optional V8 (350 2-bbl, 350 4-bbl, 402, 454). No SS-307, however. 307 and 454 not available in California in 1972 like you said. All big-blocks came with 12-bolt. My 1972 non-SS El Camino with 350 4-bbl and TH-350 has the original 12-bolt.

·
Registered
374 Posts
No SS307 . . . hmmm . . . that is kinda strange . . .
Another strange thing is that the camaro did away with the 12 bolt after 70 and came out with the 8.5 10 bolt in 71. Odd how the A-body kept the 12 bolt for two more years and changed to the 8.5 10 bolt in 73. Some Trucks kept coming with 12 bolts for a few more years . . . not sure when they stopped. I think I have an 80 two wheel drive that I parted with a 12 bolt in it. It is at my friends farm til summer when we will make a trailer out of it. I need to haul a bunch of rocks for landscaping my yard this summer . . . it will do great for that. :D

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
No SS307 . . . hmmm . . . that is kinda strange . . .
Another strange thing is that the camaro did away with the 12 bolt after 70 and came out with the 8.5 10 bolt in 71. Odd how the A-body kept the 12 bolt for two more years and changed to the 8.5 10 bolt in 73. Some Trucks kept coming with 12 bolts for a few more years . . . not sure when they stopped. I think I have an 80 two wheel drive that I parted with a 12 bolt in it. It is at my friends farm til summer when we will make a trailer out of it. I need to haul a bunch of rocks for landscaping my yard this summer . . . it will do great for that. :D
The truck 12 bolt rear ends are totally different actually.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Chris
yah, I know that they are different . . . I don't know all the reasons why but I know they have differences.
I was just making the observation that they continued making them for trucks (12 bolts that is).

I also think it is strange that the BOP 12 bolts are different too. I believe they are made at different factories . . . I am no expert on this subject. . . just making some observations. :D

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
If this helps,I bought a new 73 SS El Camino,it had a 350 with a 350 turbo,and a 10 bolt posi rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts