Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering about a few things lately. Let me start out by stating what I know. This information was taken from my Chevrolet Restoration packet. It says that in order to get the SS option, you must first order the Custom El Camino model. The Custom El Camino model came with a silver paint along the bottom part of the body. My question is, did the SS option override the silver paint? Or was the silver still painted. I can't believe that the factory would paint the silver bottom on white and silver cars. If the silver wasn't painted, was the chrome still used. Do any of you guys know the answers to these questions. I'm not restoring an SS, I would just like to know for my own purposes. Also, does all this go for a Chevelle also. I have seen 68-72's with the Silver bottoms. Does that always indicate a Custom Model? Thanks

------------------
Bryan Shook
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Yes the SS option was a solid color, no silver along the lower portion. No chrome used on lower break line. Here is a stock 72 El Camino SS, it was mine till 1974. The Flame decal was dealer installed option. This was a dealer salesman demo when I purchased it with low miles. To be honest this 72 SS350 was the worst vehicle I ever owned, quailty was very poor and it had many warranty problems in the 2 years I owned it.

This image loads very slow, I tried compressing it but the quality (which is not good from a 1970 photo) went downhill.

http://www.synthetic-oil.com/images/72ElcaminoSS.jpg

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 01-22-2000).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.