Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Can anyone measure their location of the door panel ss emblem location? Bought some pui door panels and the location spots are there. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there supposed to be 4 or 5 screws at the bottom of the panel? My amk interior screw kit only came with 8 total. Also the screws are countersunk with washer. Are they supposed to be flat with washer? Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
4 screws at the bottom of each door panel. They are #8 x 3/4" chrome oval head screws with countersunk washers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 72 originally had 5 on each side.

Can you check out the doors for door panel screw holes if they are original?
Just checked. There are 5 original holes. Are the screws supposed to have flat heads or countersunk? Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They should be the countersunk washer type, not the larger somewhat flat washer type. Some doors had 4 screws and some had 5 screws. May have depended on the plant the car was built.
So weird. Every picture i see online has 5 screws and the flat washer screws. The countersunk screws don't seem like they would hold very well.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
They should be the countersunk washer type, not the larger somewhat flat washer type. Some doors had 4 screws and some had 5 screws. May have depended on the plant the car was built.
My info comes from the '72 we just finished for a customer. That one had 4 screws on the original door panels, so we transferred those measurements to the repro door panels.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
My info comes from the '72 we just finished for a customer. That one had 4 screws on the original door panels, so we transferred those measurements to the repro door panels.
Interesting... any idea on assembly plant? My Baltimore plant convertible had 5 screws per side.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Interesting... any idea on assembly plant? My Baltimore plant convertible had 5 screws per side.
Don't know which assembly plant. My customer, a restoration shop here in Rochester, Mn, picked up his car about a month ago and has since sold it. He also has several other 69-72 Chevelles that we will be doing the interior restoration on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help guys! Btw i used the 5 holes with the flat washer screws. I cut 5 screws heads off, sharpened the end, stuck the screws in the door and pressed on the door panel to mark the holes in the panel. Worked perfect. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks Dan. :) Just put them on. Pins on emblem seemed a little short to me, but i got the clips on.
Doug,
Regarding the pins on the SS emblems I noticed the same thing but I even had 2 sets of emblems and the emblems were the same. One set I think was NOS. No matter what I did the small clips wouldn't stay on. I finally took a single edge razor and carved a slight depression in the cardboard.

I've got a '71 and my car has 5 original holes for the bottom screws.

Scott

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys! Btw i used the 5 holes with the flat washer screws. I cut 5 screws heads off, sharpened the end, stuck the screws in the door and pressed on the door panel to mark the holes in the panel. Worked perfect. :)
Doug,
Did your screw positions fall exactly on the "stitch" line as I've read they should? My screw holes seem to be below that line and my door panel seems to be fitting perfectly. I haven't screwed them in yet because I'm waiting for a couple of lost pieces (plastic gasket for behind the window crank and spring) before I finish. If my original holes tell me to place them below the line that's probably what I will do. I thought it even looks a little strange to have the screws in the stitch line. If it was actual stitching that's the last place anyone would place them.

Good tip on the lower screw positions... pun was not intended :) On the arm rest I didn't have spare screws so I put some sticky tar like substance on the screw heads and screwed them into the proper positions, leaving them sticking out around 1/4", without the interior door panel on and then I placed the panel and the tar like substance transferred to the back of the panel. I have the crank style power windows and so I did the same to the window crank end as there was no guarantee it could fall exactly in the original location.

I would also comment that while the pre-cut stuff was close in the cardboard it wasn't perfect. In a couple of cases I made my own slots for the push-in door clips.

Scott

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doug,
Did your screw positions fall exactly on the "stitch" line as I've read they should? My screw holes seem to be below that line and my door panel seems to be fitting perfectly. I haven't screwed them in yet because I'm waiting for a couple of lost pieces (plastic gasket for behind the window crank and spring) before I finish. If my original holes tell me to place them below the line that's probably what I will do. I thought it even looks a little strange to have the screws in the stitch line. If it was actual stitching that's the last place anyone would place them.

Good tip on the lower screw positions... pun was not intended :) On the arm rest I didn't have spare screws so I put some sticky tar like substance on the screw heads and screwed them into the proper positions, leaving them sticking out around 1/4", without the interior door panel on and then I placed the panel and the tar like substance transferred to the back of the panel. I have the crank style power windows and so I did the same to the window crank end as there was no guarantee it could fall exactly in the original location.

I would also comment that while the pre-cut stuff was close in the cardboard it wasn't perfect. In a couple of cases I made my own slots for the push-in door clips.

Scott
Hey Scott. Yep that worked out pretty good. :) My lower screws ended up with every washer top just hitting the stitch line. Looks good like that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts