Team Chevelle banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Chevelle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok there are no stupid questions, only stupid people (just not me I'm just ignorant)
Can someone explain why these 2 hoods are different? I see the obvious difference, but can someone explain why? 1970-Chevelle-LS6-454-Engine.jpg hood_w-o.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,259 Posts
One on the left is the cowl induction hood with the intake flap door on the rear near the window. You know, the flappy thing that opens upwards when you stomp on it.. The other is just the standard domed hood with no flappy thing.

Both hoods are original factory parts. An original factory cowl induction hood is made out of 3 pieces of sheet metal where a reproduction is made of only 2 pieces. You can see this in the airbox area.

There are no stupid people here and no stupid questions. Stupid people are all out trolling on Facebook.

·
Registered
1972 Chevelle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I understand the difference between a domed hood and a cowl induction hood. Can you add the "round top hat " piece to a domed hood? ( Is this piece even available anywhere?) And with the other proper pieces make it a functional induction hood?

·
Premium Member
6,259 Posts
Ok I understand the difference between a domed hood and a cowl induction hood. Can you add the "round top hat " piece to a domed hood? ( Is this piece even available anywhere?) And with the other proper pieces make it a functional induction hood?
If you have the cowl induction hood with the cutout at the rear, then All the parts are available through reproduction outlets in a kit form.. Ground up, ss396, Ausleys, etc.cowl induction hood kit for 1970 Chevelle - Google Search

If you have the domed hood, then no, modification would be impractical. You would be best served to locate the cowl induction hood used, or reproduction is available. The used option would be my route.

·
Registered
1972 Chevelle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a plain domed hood. My plan is to obtain a correct air cleaner, install an inner door without the flap, and the bug screen. And of course the "tophat ring" if I can find one. I know the benefits in performance are minimal at best, its mostly for the "cool" look

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
There are about 5 different DOMED hoods out there.
The plain domed hood was a standard part on all 70-72 SS Chevelles.
The option for CI hoods was ZL2-----------------D88 is the STRIPE code.
Early CI hood.
Late CI hood. The left picture at the top is the later hood I do not know when the change occurred, but the difference is in the cutouts of the under side bracing. Later hoods have the larger cutouts. Again, I don't know when the change occurred from early to late style.
The 4th domed hood (NON CI hood) is the aftermarket version from Goodmark
The 5th domed hood is a CI hood from Goodmark.
The Goodmark hoods are basically good hoods, they look and fit good, and are the later style with the larger cutouts---------------------BUT, they are not as heavy as an original GM hood.
Our 70 Malibu Conv has a Goodmark CI hood and I love it! Fits and works perfect.
DSCN0563.JPG

DSCN0559.JPG

I used a different check valve to my vacuum hose for the outer door so that it does not slam shut so quickly.

·
Registered
1972 Chevelle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Other than Goodmark does anyone manufacture Chevelle hoods? I've seen Dynacorn but not sure if they manufacture or distribute?

On a side note Dzauto, I believe you are Dzauto on the Corvette form?

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Other than Goodmark does anyone manufacture Chevelle hoods? I've seen Dynacorn but not sure if they manufacture or distribute?

On a side note Dzauto, I believe you are Dzauto on the Corvette form?
There may be other aftermarket reproduction hoods, but Goodmark is the only one I'm familiar with.

Yes, Corvette forum, Chevytalk, Trifive.

Reactions: Guistg1
1 - 11 of 11 Posts