Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was trying to move my car from the street to up my driveway last night and the car kept spinning on the ice so i tried to bring it back down and park on the street, my mom was yelling at me saying i was about to crash so i turned the car off, mind you it’s pitch black inside and i can bearly see the dash, after talking to her i accidentally put the circle key back in and turned it then took it out and put the squat ignition key in and it said [HOT] so i tried figuring it out. i checked the coolant and filled it with distilled water but the car kept eating it even though it was off (might be a leak), i could not get the car to start and after taking the key out i was still able to turn the part where you put the key in and it was still swaying hot, the battery works but i didn’t hear a chk chk chk chk noise from the starter, the car wasn’t even on for five minutes, by using the floor shifter i tried starting the car in drive park neutral and everything, the car was switched over from colombia shift to floor shift but the column can still rotates around and shows on the dash it’s moving through the different gears but i don’t think it actually changes the gears, i ended up turning the column all the way to the left and tried putting in the key and it fit ALL THE WAY NOW, i turned the key and the started and i hurried and put it on the street. was my problem just the column shifter needing to be in park for the key to fit all the way in and start? or was it actually my starter failing, if you made it this far i honestly thank you for reading this.

· Registered
52 Posts
It was your NSS switch on the column preventing you from starting it. If its below freezing out, I'd get the car inside a garage or some antifreeze in it. It will freeze overnight and push a freeze plug out or crack the block.

· Premium Member
12,596 Posts
As cold as it is right now I would have went to a 24 hour walmart and taken care of the antifreeze. Get it mixed in and start the car to get some antifreeze into the block. Then dont run it again till you get your leak fixed. Hope you didnt have straight water in it all night. You would have been better to leave it lo w or empty than put straight water in at below freezing temperatures.

· Gold Founding Member
40,875 Posts
When you turn the key on the warning lights come on just to test the bulbs then they go back off when the engine is started.

Sounds like maybe freeze plugs have already popped out. Did you see any coolant on the ground?

I would get it to Walmart service to have antifreeze put in it like blm said.

· Premium Member
12,596 Posts
Before you moved this car was it sitting outside for three months or even in an unheated garage? Had you ever checked the mixture of water to antifreeze?
Do you know what the freeze plugs look like and their location? If it is leaking now and wasn t when you last parked it I have a feeling you will find out soon.

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
When you turn the key on the warning lights come on just to test the bulbs then they go back off when the engine is started.

Sounds like maybe freeze plugs have already popped out. Did you see any coolant on the ground?

Dean I seen quite a few cracked blocks and never have seen a freeze plug pop out once. Rust out yes, pop out no!

· Registered
4,217 Posts
With my old cars I usually do away with the key start and just use the key for all the other functions except start. I mount a heavy duty push button in the dash and run #10 stranded from the junction by the alternator to the button and then to the starter. .

This also allows you to put the car in gear, hit the button and move the car if it is in a dangerous location but won't start..

· Gold Founding Member
40,875 Posts
Dean I seen quite a few cracked blocks and never have seen a freeze plug pop out once. Rust out yes, pop out no!
I bought a 69 Malibu from a guy that thought the block had frozen and cracked and when I got it home I found no cracked block but three freeze plugs had been forced out. Put freeze plugs in and it was fine.

But this was a small block 350, and I don't know if freeze plugs do their job on big blocks.

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
I bought a 69 Malibu from a guy that thought the block had frozen and cracked and when I got it home I found no cracked block but three freeze plugs had been forced out. Put freeze plugs in and it was fine.

But this was a small block 350, and I don't know if freeze plugs do their job on big blocks.
Never ever seen that and I wonder how many more people have seen that happen. Anyone else?

· Registered
4,217 Posts
When you have a frozen block you can defrost it by starting it and letting it run for 1 minute, then shut it off for 30 seconds, then run it for 2 minutes and shut it off.. Slowly it will melt the ice.. Keep doing this. Its a good idea to have a battery charger on the battery for a few hours before doing this.. Keep an eye on the temp gauge or light. It might show overheating, thats ok just run it for 30 seconds at a time instead of a minute...

Once fully defrosted either put antifreeze 50/50 in it or drain it all out when shutting it off..

· Gold Founding Member
40,875 Posts
Never ever seen that and I wonder how many more people have seen that happen. Anyone else?
My son in law's Mercury would start a couple or three years ago so I went down to help get it started and two freeze plugs were laying on the ground.
He always says everything was someone else's fault and his brother didn't put antifreeze in his car. My grandson in law had to pull the motor out to get the one behind the transmission back in.

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
My son in law's Mercury would start a couple or three years ago so I went down to help get it started and two freeze plugs were laying on the ground.
He always says everything was someone else's fault and his brother didn't put antifreeze in his car. My grandson in law had to pull the motor out to get the one behind the transmission back in.
Dean my Dad's 66 Buick 300 had all its freeze plugs still in place but the block was cracked in and out. My buddies 350 was junk after it froze. I have also heard many stories saying the same. I did some googling on this and found some reports if the water has some antifreeze and the mixture gets sloshy and it will expand then it's possible they will pop out but more often than not the block will crack first. If it is water only it will crack. The reason for the plugs is to get the sand out of the casting after the block has been poured and nothing to do with saving the block from ice. Just Sayin!

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
When you have a frozen block you can defrost it by starting it and letting it run for 1 minute, then shut it off for 30 seconds, then run it for 2 minutes and shut it off.. Slowly it will melt the ice.. Keep doing this. Its a good idea to have a battery charger on the battery for a few hours before doing this.. Keep an eye on the temp gauge or light. It might show overheating, thats ok just run it for 30 seconds at a time instead of a minute...

Once fully defrosted either put antifreeze 50/50 in it or drain it all out when shutting it off..
Can I assume you removed the fan belts off the water pump first. Very hard to run an engine if the water pump is frozen solid.

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was your NSS switch on the column preventing you from starting it. If its below freezing out, I'd get the car inside a garage or some antifreeze in it. It will freeze overnight and push a freeze plug out or crack the block.
yes this was the problem and i’ll be putting in new antifreeze after i get off work, i hope the block didn’t freeze in the time from last night till today :( if so i’ll just sell the car

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As cold as it is right now I would have went to a 24 hour walmart and taken care of the antifreeze. Get it mixed in and start the car to get some antifreeze into the block. Then dont run it again till you get your leak fixed. Hope you didnt have straight water in it all night. You would have been better to leave it lo w or empty than put straight water in at below freezing temperatures.
thank you for this information, it won’t happen again

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

the closet walmart for me is 20 miles away and the car barely runs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.