Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help.

First I'm new here so, I'm Matt and I bought a 1972 Chevelle SS and did a frame off on it. The only sheet metal I could use was the fire wall and roof everything else is new. I put in a 383 stroker motor, 6 Speed T56, 4:11 Posi gears out back.

I purchased the a re-pro GM wiring harness and I have a wiring diagram. But it isn't very helpful. I have alot of loose wires under the hood I can't find homes for. The one that is really confusing is a 18 inch black wire coming out of the connector at the firewall that reads "Fuse Link" it looks like a ground wire. Any Ideas?

The other problem is the starter. I installed a mini-high torgue starter. It only has one spade and one stud. on the harness I have three wires to connect. A Orange/Purple, Red and yellow.

Is the a site with pictures or a better wiring diagram.

Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Is your harness for a stock 72? Does your new motor have HEI instead of points?

Cuz you won't use the resistor wire that went to the soleniod if you have HEI. You should run a new wire for full 12v directly to the HEI that provides power when KEY IS ON, or replace the resister wire from the fuseblock with a 12 gauge wire for the HEI.

I bought my HEI wire from Year one, and removed the resistor wire from the harness.

I think the yellow wire that went to the stock starter can be removed as well.

I believe the mini starter will have the Hot battery wire on the lug, and the other wire (assuming it is the orange/purple) wire that goes to solenoid of the starter.

You may have to deal with the alternator wiring as well. An originl style alternator is wired different than the modern alternator.

Look in the Tech Ref on the front page for wiring diagram help.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
"The one that is really confusing is a 18 inch black wire coming out of the connector at the firewall that reads "Fuse Link" it looks like a ground wire."

That wire connects to the horn relay, it is the main power feed to the fuse block/ign switch.

The main post of the started will get the battery cable and a second wire, should be a black fusible link, possibly the red wire it will be a 10 gauge wire. It is the main power feed from the battery to the horn relay.

As stated by DG the other terminal will get the purple wire. If you have an HEI dist. you don't need the yellow, if you have the points dist you connect the yellow with the purple but it will need a diode.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I put, in a MSD HEI. I'm not following you on the horn relay. Isn't that in the dash behing the heater controls?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
On 72s the horn relay is under the hood on the firewall, above the brake master cylinder. The relay under the dash is the TCS delay relay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it! I went to a junk yard and found the horn relay. I couldn't buy for for a 72. Thanks for all your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.