Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several ads are for A-body seats say they will fit 68-72. It is my understanding that the seats for 71-72 are different. How do you tell? The car I'm restoring originally had buckets but was converted to a bench seat. Here is a link to an Ebay item. Does anyone know if these are 71-72 seats? If anyone knows of an outlet for getting these at a reasonable price I would appreciate it.

Item: 1969-1972 chevelle gto 442 bucket seats (180091220963)

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Lenny, The frames of the 68-72 Chevelle and other A-bodies are pretty much the same, the only difference will be the vinyl covers, which you can change for your specific year.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
those in the ad have a 442 or GTO vinyl pattern. As stated in all the other posts, the frames are the same

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
....actually 69 thru 72 would have the same frames. The 68 buckets have a different lock mechanism on the side of the seat back, rather than the middle, as the 69-72 seats have.
All makes on the back of the seat lock? It wasn't just Pontiac, Olds, Buick? Just wondering as I have a set out of a '69 GP with the lock on the back and was wondering if Chevy had them there as well for 69-72.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
All makes on the back of the seat lock? It wasn't just Pontiac, Olds, Buick? Just wondering as I have a set out of a '69 GP with the lock on the back and was wondering if Chevy had them there as well for 69-72.
Yes, all of them had the seat lock on the back. It's just the seat covers that make them unique.

·
Registered
707 Posts
71 and 72 SEAT COVERS are different because they are the first to combine two different type of grain in one cover...68 I think and 69 for sure Cutlass seats have the button on the side...68 GTO seats have the button on the side...and I have to recheck in my book but I was thinking the 68 Velle had the button on the back too (not for sure so don't bust me on this one fellows)...

and 66 Velle has no button because they are fixed...

·
Registered
707 Posts
I thought wrong and Bill is correct...7 and 8 are indeed different than 69-72...and some further information for you boys...the 67 metal backs (Camaro's have this trait as well) are not repopped as far as I know...grab em up if you can gentleman...they will be worth stupid money someday if they aren't already....imagine paying a couple hundred bucks for just some dang seat backs....I bet it will happen eventually...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts